55. a broken boy

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

55. a broken boy

( tw: references to self-harm; some sliiiight allusions to spice? idk, this chapter is a rollercoaster )

A little bit after noon, June and Daisy are on their way back home. With more than the basket filled with all sorts of canned vegetables, fruit, bread, and ingredients that will last them for a long while, they’re in high spirits.

June feels giddy at the thought of finally having something for Treech, and his mother’s reaction when she shows him his birthday gift is worth it. She can’t stop smiling and seems to be beyond happy, both with Treech’s decision to make the girl his girlfriend and also with the way June was capable of navigating a trade at the black market so easily. It wasn’t a given, and she wouldn’t have minded swooping in to help her out either, but knowing that she did this on her own seems to provide a sense of comfort to them both.

She’s already starting to feel like she’s home here, and that’s more than she could’ve ever wanted.

They ride the horse carriage as far as the nice old lady that owns it allows them to, and they walk the rest of the way. The sun’s warmth and the gentle breeze are sweeping away remnants of last night’s rain, and the mud clinging to their boots dries quickly. They take their time walking home, keep the topics lighthearted, and June feels her affection for the woman grow and grow the more time she spends around her.

It feels good to be accepted and included like this. She was scared she’d feel like the outsider she is here, but so far no one has made her feel bad for not knowing customs or just how things work in Seven. If anything, this is what she had hoped for, and she knows that Cas will be just fine once he finally joins them.

It has only been a little over a week, and his absence is agonizing. Not knowing how he’s doing and how he’s navigating things at home without her makes her feel anxious, but hopeful for the future and better times ahead of them. With Sejanus here, she knows things will be as good as they can be when Cas comes to Seven and their trio is complete.

The sun casts a warm glow upon them, and June’s heart skips a comfortable beat in her chest. She’s not one to keep secrets, but she’ll do her best to prevent Treech from finding the gifts she bought.

At last, the family home comes into sight. However, the one thing that catches her attention in an instant is the two axes leaning against the wall right next to the open front door. The women exchanged confused looks.

“Did they let them go for lunch?” June ponders aloud, tilting her head toward the sight. She notices Daisy’s concerned expression and frowns; anxiety is already beginning to bubble inside of her. She swallows and asks, “I’m taking it; this means something might have happened?”