20. the spare key

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

20. the spare key

Sejanus leaves around noon and after a second check-up, June is finally allowed to leave the hospital.

It's her father who picks her up along with Max and as they leave the room with her belongings, they pass Tigris and Coriolanus' grandmother on the way to visit him. They chat briefly, exchanging pleasantries and such but then finally leave.

June is relieved to be back at home. She hasn't been able to catch up on much sleep so after taking a shower as soon as she's back, she decides to rest before supper. She falls into a dreamless sleep, the headache slowly subsiding more and more until it's a gentle throb that only resurfaces whenever she moves her head to get more comfortable.

Apparently she's so tired that she sleeps through supper and into the late evening. No one makes any moves to wake her up especially since the doctor advised her to rest as much as possible, so she's left to her own devices. Surprisingly, she doesn't mind.

When she wakes up and checks the time, one look at the alarm clock on her bedside table tells her she slept more than expected. But now that she's awake, she finds herself hungry and decides to eat something before she tries falling back asleep.

June always finds her home eerie at night. With its long corridors and doors that creak whenever the slightest gust of wind sweeps through the house, she can't say she feels exactly at peace wandering around as soon as it's dark. The moonlight casts a faint glow into the corridor but she doesn't take to turn on the lights. She doesn't want to wake anyone up at this hour.

She's not surprised to find her mother's study locked, however, the light beneath the door indicates she must be in there. But she decides to leave it be for now and heads on into the kitchen where she finally turns on the light. It's quiet, she can only hear the sound of the water running as she washes the apple she took out of the little fruit basket on their kitchen table, and her own breathing.

Once she's done, she sighs and takes a seat at the little round table. She savors the sweetness of the apple and for the moment, tries to just forget everything that is troubling her. Her mind wanders from the snakes, Clemmie and the Ring twins to Treech. It hasn't even been a day since she saw him and she realizes she misses him terribly. She reassures herself with the knowledge that he's fine and must've recovered by now but still, her mind can't help but spiral after everything that has happened in the last twenty-four hours.

When she hears faint footsteps in the distance, she tenses up briefly but quickly recognizes her brother. Cas looks tired but informs her that he has trouble falling asleep. They stay in the kitchen for another thirty minutes until they move to her room, talking quietly until they finally pass out at around one in the morning.