34. kiss of life

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

34. kiss of life

Treech.

June's trembling subsides slowly, and even though she wants to, she can't let go of Sejanus just yet. He's sweaty, but she doesn't care. She must be as well. He's shaking, too, though he has himself a little bit more under control than her. Maybe it hasn't set in for him yet, but it has for June.

Coriolanus just killed someone. Right in front of them.

While Coral calls for the rest of the alliance to follow her, Treech lingers behind on purpose. What's going on? Why are they here? Why is she here? His head is spinning, and despite the fact that he should probably get going, he can't tear his eyes away from her. He briefly took notice of Bobbin's body when they passed him earlier, but what happened?

Coriolanus whimpers, clutching his shoulder. She can't imagine what kind of pain he must be in, but she can't get the image of him hitting Bobbin out of her head. She's conflicted.

"I'm sorry," Sejanus croaks out. "Coryo, June, I'm so so sorry-"

"It's-" June pauses, scrambling for the right words. She squeezes him slightly. "You didn't know this was going to happen-"

But when the sound of a car door slamming shut reaches his ears, Sejanus' expression grows sullen. June recognizes his parents in an instant, and despite her trembling, she lets go of him.

"My father," Sejanus says, almost spitting the words onto the floor. "Let the buying begin."

Of course, she knows what he's hinting at. Sejanus told her that his father not only bought his way into the Capitol and his schooling, but also Marcus. According to him, Strabo Plinth is losing his mind at home because, while he has been able to buy everyone else, he can't use his money to rebuild his wrecked relationship with his son.

Sejanus resents him deeply for making their family move to the Capitol. It seems buying Marcus was Sejanus' final straw - so much so that he would have died at Marcus' side not only to make a statement but also, to an extent, to spite his father.

They've taken him out of Two, but they can't take Two out of him. It's as simple as that.

His mother is the only one to approach the group of mentors while his father stays behind, which doesn't surprise her. June gives Sejanus a slight pat on the arm, softly encouraging him to approach her. When he does, he limps towards his mother, and even though she catches a glimpse of Strabo Plinth nodding at her and Coriolanus in silent thanks, she doesn't pay him any mind.