21st

Keefe's head was throbbing. His torso felt very heavy. He heard a hum in the room he was in. His arms were weighed down by something and he couldn't open his eyes.
But he was awake.

The last thing he remembered was Sophie saying everything is okay. But now that Keefe was thinking about it, when someone says that, it usually means it's not okay...

Keefe couldn't open his eyes, but he still murmured, "Sophie?" Just in case she was nearby.
No one answered. He was alone again wasn't he...
Was he back in the hospital? Maybe that was why the hum in the room was familiar.

Suddenly someone shouted angrily. It sounded far away, so not in the room he was in. Keefe couldn't focus on what the person was saying, but he caught one word. PTSD.
He waved it away. It could mean anything- it might not even be towards him. Besides... what even is PTSD?

Eventually, the door opened and someone came in. "S-s-Sophie?" Keefe stammered, hoping it was her. "Yes, Keefe, it's me." Keefe smiled. Then realised her voice sounded sad. "What's wrong?" Keefe asked, a bit scared of the answer. "Nothing- nothing." Sophie quickly answered. For some reason, that made him forget why he was asking.
"Oh okay," Keefe mumbled in his stupor.
Sophie took one of his heavy hands. "How are you?"
"Heavy," Keefe grunted.
"What?"
"Never mind." Keefe tried again to open his eyes. It didn't work. "I'm fine..." he couldn't think of any reason he wouldn't be, except maybe the fact he couldn't open his eyes. Although, that wasn't a good enough problem to make him not fine.

Keefe smiled as Sophie talked to him. Even though, halfway he stopped focusing and her words turned to sounds. Although, Keefe got the feeling she was saying some important stuff. He tried to concentrate- really tried but his head was foggy and throbbed loudly.

Before he knew it, he was asleep again, leaving Sophie still talking to him. Keefe felt bad about it, even in his sleep, but he couldn't do anything now.

When he awoke, he heard crying. Just so he didn't oppose, Keefe pretended to still be asleep. "Sophie, it's late. I'm sure your parents would want you back."
"No," the crying person responded. "No, please."
Sophie was crying? Was it because of him?
"Sophie," Keefe mumbled, now able to lift his arms, so he tried to reach her. "Sophie?"
Sophie cried harder but grasped Keefe's hand. "Keefe," she sobbed.
"Stay with me," he murmured.
"I will," Sophie promised. "I will."
The other person in the room sighed and the sound of a door opening and closing sounded.
Keefe sighed happily and fell asleep again. His eyes were still not working.

This time when he woke up, his chest felt much more heavy. Like, really heavy. He used one of his hands to feel what was on him. Keefe had a feeling something was on him. His hand was met by soft hair. This startled Keefe, but he quickly realised that it was Sophie. He stroked her hair, still frustrated he couldn't open his eyes.

Then he realised his chest was not only heavy, but in so much pain. And Sophie wasn't helping by being on top. Keefe let out an agonised groan. He couldn't seem to stop after one was out. Sophie woke up and realised what she was doing. Quickly, she got off him. It didn't do much... in fact it might've made it worse. But at least he could breathe easier now.  More torturous groans came out of his mouth, accompanied by hyperventilating. Keefe heard Sophie run out the room. Keefe started crying; it hurt so much.

Finally, when a nurse or something came in, Keefe was shaking from the pain. Someone must've jabbed a needle into him, because a sharp shot of pain appeared in his arm. Keefe cried out. Eventually, Keefe stopped grinding his teeth and gripping the bed. The pain was dulled. His head was still throbbing very loudly, so it was hard to hear Sophie talking angrily to the nurse. "He can swallow a tablet, or drink something, y'know. He's not unable to do that. You didn't need to shove a needle into him." A pause. "He's had enough needles."
"Ah- okay sweetie," the nurse replied politely.

A while later, Keefe suddenly got the energy to open his eyes. And he wished he didn't. Thousands of machines were sticking out of him, hence the hum, his wrists and arms were covered in bandages, his torso was also bandaged. A light sheet came up to his waist. Keefe felt his head, and was greeted by more bandages. Bandaids also buried his face.

Sadly, Sophie wasn't here any more, so Keefe was alone in the terrifying room, with machines whirring, that was the only reason he was alive.
Why was Sophie crying before, Keefe wondered, remembering that night. Oh well. Guess he'll never know...

He'll never know anything, will he? Especially if it's bad. Sophie won't tell him, because she doesn't want Keefe to worry, especially in the hospital.
And if the bad thing was about him... well, Keefe had mixed feelings about that. He needed to know but also... didn't want to.

Why couldn't Keefe just have a normal life?
Instead, girlfriends who never liked him, abusing friends and complicated relationships decided to be his life.

How fun.