Gillions pov

During training, they never told me how to switch off my magic. "Hit them as hard as you can! Go go go!" was all they ever said, and even then they were disappointed when I did exactly what they said. Again and again, I tried. Again and again, I failed. I never learned how to stop. Never learned how to pull back at the last second. It had led to this girl, Rea, being blasted back by my blow. The hit had landed perfectly, unfortunately. Ice and lightning had formed before my blade even made contact with her, alerting her too late. She crashed into another stall, right next to Chip. "Good job!" A voice saying something impossible. Congratulating me, which was something the person the voice belonged to would never say.
The next thirty seconds passed by without a sound. Arianna landed by Rea, screaming. She grabbed a potion from her belt and tried to uncork it with suddenly shaky hands. Chip, with snow peppering his hair, gave me a look I didn't understand. Shock? Fear? Numbly I walked up to them and knelt down. I looked at Rea, a light blue tint peppered some of the skin on her face, but no time to think about that now. I looked at Arianna who gave me a wary look, eyes glowering with malice. She backed up when I simply raised my hand, said something vaguely like I can heal her, and knelt down gingerly. The battle was over without a victor, but that hardly mattered right now.
I knew I couldn't heal everything. I was only ever told to hurt, to attack. "Hit, and take care of yourself. If you go down, then there is no more hope. You are the hero. You need to win, and protect everyone. Save everyone, Gillion." I already knew from experience that my strongest blow couldn't be fully healed with my strongest healing spell, as ironic as it was. After I was done, I sat back and let Arianna drain the potion into Rea's mouth.
"Oh, Ry! Please wake up! If you don't... I'm going to-" Arianna was hunched over Rea, not to the point of crying but strong emotions welling up inside of her. "It was my fault..." I gripped the handle of my sword tightly, ashamed. She shot me a look, as if she wanted me to take fault. As if she would hurt me ten times worse. I deserve it. This burden is mine.
"I think you're both stupid." Chip was suddenly right beside me, to which I shot him a look. "Hey! You told me I wasn't allowed to lie to you." His hands were raised like I was pointing a gun at him. "Maybe put the sword away, Gil? Unless you two are seriously going to keep going at it." I looked down at my sword, suddenly feeling very heavy. I looked back up at Arianna.
Sure, she was beaten up and bleeding from a cut along her arm. Her head also had some sort of cut somewhere in her hair, bleeding through her blond locks and coating her face in an intimidating red, but she wasn't out like Rea. Not only that, she had gotten back up rather quickly. But that last hit wasn't like the other one... I clenched my fists.
"No." I shook my head, at last, reaching behind me to put my sword back. Not particularly knowing what to do, I pulled out my conch shell. The magic it gave off was weak in comparison to what just happened, but it still connected.
"Gillion? What happened? I just saw an explosion or something. Are you okay?" John asked through the shell and I looked into the distance with dead eyes. "John, we might be just a bit late." I said, my voice holding almost no emotion. "Are you alright?" He asked, ready to listen, but I wanted to stop talking. I wanted to just be quiet and nod but instead, I explained the whole situation. I tried to keep my voice "matter-of-fact" to avoid the dread inside me. I didn't care that everyone was listening, I just continued to explain how Pretzel was testing her skills against those of Rea, and the fight I had with Arianna. I left out the bits of self-depreciation and my past, knowing it wouldn't be of any use. I finished with how I had stopped only after the other captain, Rea, had been hit with my best shot.
"John, I don't know what to do, I am not smart like Jay, or whitty like Chip. All I can do is hit things really hard, and even then not very well." As I said this I deflated, feeling useless and downright dreadful. "Sir Gillion!" Ollie's voice was suddenly ringing through the conch. "No matter what you did, you are a hero. So I know you've got this! Uh, what were we talking about?" Ollie's little voice came out of the shell. He sounded like he was bouncing up and down to try and reach John's arm. John wrestles the conch out of Ollie's hands. "That sounds like a lot. We'll be here, waiting for you." And with a bluntness I had come to expect from him, he cut the connection.