Chips Pov

I heard stomping before I heard Jay's voice.
"You offered them what, exactly?" Jay asked through her teeth, pointing a sassy finger at me.
"What? What did I do? Why are you mad?" I asked, pushing Gil away, his face more wet from sweat. He gave me puppy eyes but turned away quickly. Gillion- How can you pull a stunt like that and then put yourself into timeout like you're five?
"That girl over there that Gil almost dusted said you offered them the choice to join our crew. And you didn't think to ask me, Gil, Ollie, Earl, or even John of all people?"
"Ooooh." I looked at the dusty cobble street. "Right- that was when I thought Gil might be beaten by bird lady- Uh, Arianna. We'd need another strong-" I didn't finish as both Jay and Gil were giving me looks. Jay was pissed, but Gil just looked hurt. Great, I have no idea which one is worse.
"You thought I'd lose? While she is an extraordinary fighter, I'd never lose like that." Gil said, puffing up his chest and gaining some of the gusto he usually had before turning back to the chessboard and hurrying to grab Pretzel. Sure Gil, sure. We all saw the size of that dust cloud when she smoked you. It's a miracle you are still up.
"It's a shame they said no, we could benefit from having more girls around. If I have to stay next to you another day I might just go insane." Jay said somewhat longingly, looking at the other crew helping Ry stand up, and gather their things.
"Wait, what? Really, Jay?" I added the edge of my voice that I knew Jay hated, which made her whip around angrily. "Yes, really. You two are crazy. I might just join their crew if you keep being idiots." She said with a stubborn look on her face. "No- Jay, we'll- you can't just leave like that!" I grabbed at her in a very overdramatic fashion, sarcasm laced on my tongue.
"Watch me." She started walking towards them. My eyebrows shot up, and Gil passed her, turning to look at her and then back at me in confusion. "Okay- okay! Calm down-" I held up my hands, running after her. "Jay, stop walking so fast!" She walked toward them and held out her hand.
"I guess I never properly introduced myself. I'm Jay Ferin, and I'm very sorry you guys got caught up in a fight with our friend Gil- and probably got asked something dumb by Chip."
"Hey! Jay, that's rude-" She already held up a hand to shush me. A savvy grin returned to my face.
"But I would like to ask you guys if you'd like to join us on our next voyage out of the Isles of Ire. Just traveling together, not combining crews." Jay made certain to emphasize that after giving me a scowl. The crew members looked at each other, both guys and girls, then Arianna shrugged and reached out her hand.
"Might as well. I'd love a rematch with Gillion, and he promised me a drink." I looked at Gil. A drink? With a woman? Gil, what the heck? He was floating around Rea, making sure she was okay before offering Arianna a proud grin. "I'd expected you to be furious, but I suppose I can't help but agree. A rematch soon! But not before a drink. Old Man Earl makes great juice, I only hope he can make Squirties." Ari repressed an expression too fast for me to see, but shrugged it off and shook my hand. Jay wrenched her hand back, giving me a look I absolutely ignored. I found myself smiling.
"So is this all of your crew?" I tilted my head, examining everyone quickly before darting back to Ari. She smiled, something that looked a bit forced due to the situation.
"No. We have a few more watching our ship. I'll get them, then we'll set sail." Arianna backed up, then flew off over the broken stalls and cobble paths. "Ari! Wait!" Rea called after her, but it was hopeless. In one blur, a few of her feathers lit up in an orange hue and she zoomed off far faster than any bird I'd ever seen. Magic boosters, if I had to guess. She looked mad as she darted off, something I absolutely could understand.
"What do you guys call yourselves?" Rea shook her head, then turned back to face all of us. Jay side-eyed me, Gil, as well. I rolled my eyes. Maybe if you guys didn't want me to call myself the captain you could be a bit more... I don't know, helpful? "We uhm- We go by many names... Just not any proper- W-what do you call yourselves? -Bird pirates?"