DR☁︎/♥

I would've played it just how you wanted - Inspired by No Love, by SZA and Summer Walker.

The clinking of glasses and muted laughter were creating a background melody. I stood near the bar, nursing a mocktail, attempting to blend into the vibrant energy of the Formula 1 gathering. 

The last person I wanted to see in this sea of racing aficionados was Daniel Ricciardo – my ex-boyfriend, my once-upon-a-time love.

Our eyes locked across the room, a magnetic force drawing us together. The years had been kind to him, his signature grin still capable of melting my heart. As he approached, I fought to suppress the memories of our shared laughter and stolen kisses. This wasn't the time or place for revisiting the past, and yet, here we were.

"Hey," he said, a hint of surprise in his voice, "long time no see."

I forced a smile, the kind that concealed a thousand emotions. "Yeah, it's been a while."

The small talk felt like a minefield, but we navigated it with surprising ease. Daniel was gracious, his charm as potent as ever. We reminisced about the good times, the races we celebrated together, and the moments that once made us inseparable. The air buzzed with a mix of nostalgia and unspoken tension.

"I heard you're doing great," he said, his eyes searching mine for any signs of the truth.

I nodded, trying to keep my composure. "Yeah, things have been good. What about you?"

He grinned, the playful glint returning to his eyes. "Life on the track has its ups and downs, but you know me – always chasing the next victory."

We clinked glasses, a silent toast to the resilience of time and the art of moving forward. As the night unfolded, the conversation deepened, skirting the edges of the unspoken. The wounds from our past were still tender, but the passage of time had lent a certain maturity to our interaction.

It was during a lull in the conversation that he took a deep breath, his gaze fixed on mine. "I've missed you, you know," he admitted, his honesty cutting through the pretense.

My heart fluttered at his words, the ache of unresolved emotions resurfacing. "It's complicated," I replied, my voice barely a whisper.

He nodded, understanding etched on his face. "I know. We had something special, and I messed it up."

The admission hung in the air, heavy with the weight of our shared history. I looked away, the memories flooding back – the laughter, the shared dreams, and the heartbreak that shattered it all.

"I messed up too," I confessed, a tinge of regret coloring my words.

We sat in a contemplative silence, each lost in our own thoughts. The air became charged with an unspoken tension, a magnetic pull that drew us closer despite the walls of politeness we had carefully constructed.

A mischievous glint appeared in my eyes as an idea took root. "You know," I said, leaning in conspiratorially, "we could always sneak out, like old times."

Daniel's eyes widened in surprise, a familiar spark of excitement dancing in them. "Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

I smiled, a subtle nod indicating the mischievous plan forming in my mind. "I may or may not have something special in my purse. You know, just like the good old days."

Recognition dawned on his face, and a playful grin spread across his lips. "You still carry that with you?"

I shrugged, the corners of my mouth quirking up. "Just for emergencies."