CL☁︎

If you leave me, I'm skull and bones, I'm dead baby.- Inspired by BELIEVE IT by PARTYNEXTDOOR ft. Rihanna.

The soft glow of fairy lights adorned the cozy living room, casting a warm ambiance as I sat across from my best friend, Emma. The sweet aroma of vanilla scented candles wafted through the air, creating a soothing atmosphere. Our Friday night ritual of facemasks and a glass of wine felt like the perfect balm for my troubled heart. I sighed, sipping the crimson liquid and trying to find the right words to share the turmoil within.

"So, spill it," Emma urged, her eyes sparkling with curiosity behind a lavender facemask. "What's going on with you and Charles?"

I took a deep breath, my fingers playing nervously with the stem of the wine glass. "We're... we're taking a break," I finally confessed, watching Emma's eyes widen in surprise.

"A break? But you guys were like the definition of couple goals," she exclaimed.

I chuckled wistfully, tracing the rim of the glass with my fingertips. "Yeah, that's what I thought too. But something's off, Em. Charles has been acting weird lately. It's like he's distant, and I can't shake this feeling that he might be cheating again."

Emma's eyes softened with understanding as she leaned forward, her mask slightly crinkling. "Again? I thought you forgave him the first time."

I nodded, twirling a strand of my hair absentmindedly. "I did, Em. I wanted to believe that people can change, you know? And he seemed genuinely sorry. But now, I can't ignore the nagging feeling that history might be repeating itself."

She placed a comforting hand on mine, her eyes conveying empathy. "Trust your instincts, girl. If something feels off, it probably is. But have you talked to him about it?"

I sighed, contemplating the complexities of my emotions. "I tried, Em. But every time I bring it up, he deflects or says I'm being paranoid. It's like he's avoiding the conversation altogether."

The silence hung between us for a moment, broken only by the crackling of the fireplace. Emma took a thoughtful sip of her wine before speaking, "You deserve someone who respects you enough to have those difficult conversations. If Charles isn't willing to address your concerns, then maybe this break is a chance for both of you to figure things out."

I nodded appreciatively, grateful for Emma's unwavering support. "You're right, Em. I just need some time to clear my head and see if we're truly meant to be."

As we continued our heart-to-heart conversation, the facemasks drying on our faces, I couldn't help but feel a mixture of sadness and relief. It was daunting to confront the uncertainties that lay ahead, but perhaps this break was the breath of fresh air our relationship needed. 

The gentle patter of rain against the bedroom window echoed the soft snores of Emma beside me. The facemasks had dried into hardened shells on our faces, evidence of the passage of time. I stirred, slowly waking up to the dimly lit room, my eyes adjusting to the surroundings. Charles sat at the edge of the bed, his gaze lost in some distant thought. He looked up as I shifted, his eyes betraying a mixture of surprise and guilt.

"Babe," he whispered, his voice tinged with desperation.

I sat up, pulling the tangled sheets around me, suddenly aware of the gravity of the moment. "Charles, what are you doing here?"

He swallowed hard, his hands fidgeting nervously. "I couldn't sleep. I needed to talk to you."

My heart sank, and I couldn't bring myself to meet his gaze. "Charles, we're on a break. We need space."