HT34.

YURI WHITE
DALLAS, TX

MARCH 30, 2022

YURI emerged from her room with her white basket in hand, filled with measuring tape and other necessities for taking Kiya's measurements. Since Yuri had a free day, she called Kiya to see if she was available so they can begin to work on Kiya's wedding dress.

Kiya stood awkwardly in the living room, prompting Yuri to giggle. "You could have sat down; I don't mind," Yuri reassured her, prompting a chuckle from Kiya.

Knowing the wedding date was looming, Yuri was eager to get things done ahead of schedule. Right now, she wanted to take measurements and discuss designs

"I don't know why I'm nervous, sorry," Kiya admitted, and Yuri shook her head, placing a small bucket on the couch. "It's okay. So, are you ready to get started?" Yuri asked.

Kiya nodded, "we gon do measurements first then we'll talk about designs." Yuri informed her. Yuri grabbed the tape measure and rolled it out. "Hold your arms out, please," she instructed.

Kiya held her arms out as Yuri put the tape measure towards her body, Kiya was much shorter and thicker, her hips were wide but the top part of her body was smaller so Yuri had to make sure she got accurate measurements.

As Yuri began measuring, she engaged in light conversation. "Are you excited about your wedding?" she asked Kiya. Kiya hummed, expressing mixed emotions. "A part of me is, but a part of me isn't. I don't want this to feel rushed and then regret it," Kiya confessed, and Yuri nodded understandingly.

"I get where you're coming from, but life's about taking risks. You'd never know if you'd regret it if you don't do it," Yuri offered some encouragement, to which Kiya nodded in agreement.

Yuri slung the tape measurer over her shoulder before grabbing the small notepad she had to take note of her hip measurements.

"Do you want to get married?" Kiya asked, Yuri pushed her lips to the side. Did she want to get married? In her younger years, she had this whole plan, imagining meeting her soulmate in high school, becoming high school sweethearts, and perhaps even sporting a ring by the age of twenty-one. But that was definitely a dream that didn't happen.

When she met Mazi at nineteen, the idea of marriage suddenly faded from her mind, and it felt like it might never happen with him. His mother's influence, suggesting that Yuri didn't seem like wife material, may have contributed to Mazi never seriously considering the question.

Despite Mazi ruining her marriage plan, Yuri still desired it. She believed that a relationship lacked completeness if marriage wasn't part of the equation.

"I do.." Yuri finally replied, "Marriage is such a beautiful thing." Yuri added on Kiya nodded her head in agreement

"It definitely is.."

________

Yuri unlocked the door to her parents' home and entered with a smile, spotting her father engrossed in the football game, leaning forward on the couch with his elbows on his knees.

"Hey, Daddy," Yuri chirped, shutting and locking the door behind her before walking over to the couch and plopping down in the seat next to her father.

Malcom tore his eyes away from the TV slowly, looking over at his daughter. "What's up, baby girl. You—" Malcom stopped talking, looking back at the TV as the Bears scored a touchdown against the Packers.