Chapter 11: On the Verge of Life

Indeed, Jonathan was the culprit, and fortunately, he got legally imprisoned with all the solid evidences, they charged against him.

≪══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹═════≫

Time: 10:33 p.m.

The pouring night soaked the busy city, while the streetlights illuminated the damp streets of London.

It's been three-days and Diana still didn't regained her consciousness.

The nurses gets inside Diana's room. Diana laid there, the intravenous drip are connected into her veins, while her breathing works well with the oxygen mask.

As the nurses approached her, monitoring her condition, they noticed her breathing paces changed, she breaths heavily, her chest rises and falls, increasing rapidly.

One of the nurses immediately goes over to Diana and checks her vitals. They notice that her heart rate is increasing rapidly and she's becoming distressed.

The nurses immediately begin to work on stabilizing her condition, but they can't seem to get it under control.

Diana's eyes flutters open.

The nurse's attention shifts to Diana, who is now moving uncomfortably, her vulnerable eyes tears up, as she's enduring pain and distressed.

One of the nurses pulls away the oxygen mask so that she can talk to Diana.

"Diana? Are you alright?" She asks.

Diana's eyes slowly come into focus, as she looks at the nurse. She can't seem to gather her thoughts, as the agony from the injuries is still taking its charge on her.

"How are you feeling?" The nurse asks, trying to keep Diana calm.

"I'm.. alright.." Diana's voice is unsteady, as she replies in a hushed tone, with a hint of pain and hoarseness in her voice.

The nurse is relieved that Diana is able to talk, although she appears to be in significant pain.

She notices Diana's breathing pattern still seems to be erratic, and there's still evidence of pain in her voice.

"Are you sure you're okay?" The nurse asks again.

Diana attempts to take a deep breath, but finds that the pain is too much for her to bear.

"Nurse... please..." She murmured, beginning to feel weak.

The nurse immediately calls the doctor, to handle the situation.

The doctor rushes over and checks Diana's vitals as well, he can tell that things are not going well.

Also, he notes that Diana's heart rate has increased dramatically and her breathing has become very shallow.

Instantly, he ordered the nurses to run any necessary tests or procedures to stabilize Diana's condition.

The nurses begin rushing around, completing different tasks and monitoring Diana's vital signals.

Diana lies in bed, staring at the ceiling as a feeling of anxiety begins to take over her.

She feels vulnerably weak, feeling detached from her surroundings.

Struggling to stay focused as her thoughts begin to fade and her consciousness starts to slip away from her.

She hears the sounds of the nurses and doctor working around her, but her attention shifts back to her internal state.

And there, her eyes found Charles, looking deep into her eyes while standing at the bottom of her bed.

"Diana." His voice echoes in her hearings, through her mind.

"Charles.." She whispers breathlessly.

Although the nurses passes by him, but it seems like no one is noticing him around, indeed he is invisible to everyone but Diana.

"You will be alright, Diana." He spoke as he walked over to her bedside.

His hand crawls on the bed, reaching hers, "I love you," he genuinely poured his feelings while holding her delicate hand, in his strong and protective one.

Diana tightened her clench on his fingers while he rubs her knuckles, as if she's afraid of losing him in the process of losing herself.

"I―" Her voice cracks.

"Shh, darling.." He gently bowed, placing a tender kiss on the back of her hand.

"I'm ashamed of myself, Diana.." His eyes tears up while looking at her.

She didn't responded, while holding back her tears.

"I didn't get to protect you, I―" His voice cracks in profounded sadness.

Silence.

"I'm really sorry, Darling... I'm really, really sorry.." He squeezes her hand gently, lowering his head while his tears drips on the back of her hand.

"Charles..." She whispered softly, while not being worried if anyone heard her, singing his name.

"Yes, dear one?" He answered in a bit rush, looking into her beautiful yet vulnerable eyes.

"Please don't leave me..." Tears streamed down her pale face.

"Don't worry, Love." He looks deep into her ocean eyes, "I will always stand by your side... no matter whatever it takes me to." He whispers to her devotedly.

She looked at him dearly, while crying silently.

Charles squeezed her hand, providing a sense of intimacy and closeness between them.

Diana clung to his hand desperately as she surrendered to the overwhelming emotions of her trauma, losing the sense of reality in the process.