Chapter 22: The Love Triangle

The clock dances the evening away into the night's atmosphere, filled with glittering teary stars. Clouds were floating in the lengths of the infinite sky.

The anticipation of her voice, calling in reciprocation to him build a tension lump within his heart.

But that doesn't seem to make him wait any longer for the ringing tune from the said person he awaits, but rather take himself to her beyond any capabilities of rejection, for his feeling threw the issue to a shame every now and then.

Speaking on behalf of the time, it wasn't a period of where anyone would drive the remaining night away, and certainly not to visit anyone no matter how the urge treats them to.

But James Hewitt cared less about it all, for she has taken over his mind, body and soul to were not sparing him even a glimpse of slumber.

Without any distracting consideration, he charges the engines on, knuckles white caused by the firm grip on the steering wheel. With a last in-take of steady breath, he drove not just the way, but a destination into Diana's life.

The moon follows every trail his vehicle plasters on the earth, his thoughts racing with each passing moment.

While on the other spectrum, the time has stopped, as the lively world has befallen before her very being. For the colors where clueless of any meaningful interpretations to her.

She couldn't comprehend. She don't want to understand. And she never will consider it as an option.

"How can I marry him? I don't even love him and I'm not sacrificing myself for a words away stranger!" Diana expressed while weeping.

"That's not going to solve what has happened, rather, you must pay him a visit in order to clear up things between the both of you." Sarah advised.

"Do you even understand how cunning Edward Spencer is?!" Diana exclaimed, referring to her own father.

Sarah let out a heavy sigh, not knowing what to say in order to ease Diana down to her senses.

"Ground yourself Diana, we've met James. And by telling what I assume, he surely will lend you an understanding ear and won't force the concept of marrying you against your will." Sarah added.

Not listening to her, Diana walks over to the telephone, "Don't call anyone at the moment, Diana." Sarah warned. "And certainly not James."

"Why not?" Diana cared less.

"You will only make things worse." Sarah snatched the telephone from Diana's hand, tucking it back to where it belongs.

And there, in the echo of coincidence, the telephone's ringing fills the living room.

Diana glanced at Sarah moment before eagerly answering it.

"H-hello, Diana Spencer speaking."

A gentle silence was followed by a fimiliar voice, that Diana unbeknownly awaited to hear.

"I've longed to listen to your voice, Diana." He confessed soothingly.

Diana takes a short breath, "James Hewitt?"

"Yes." He replies softly.

Just as Diana was about to speak, "May you please allow me inside?" James spoke from the otherside of the line.

Diana starred at the gently knocking door, while left being speechless. Putting the call to an end as she trailed towards the door, followed by Sarah.

And there, the widened door reveals James, dressed informally decent while looking at her in those blue eyes of hers, admiringly.

≪══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹═════≫

"Considering your un-timed arrival, I assume you probably know what's the matter." Diana finally spoke after a dreadful silence, as the two of them settled in the living room.

James nodded contently, not taking his eyes off hers, while patiently listening to her.

"First and foremost, why did you send the proposal through my father?" Diana asked bluntly.

James takes in a deep breath and stood up in a firm posture, fixing his polo shirt's stem as he strolls towards her. Diana's gaze lowers as he kneeled infront of her, holding her hands that rests in her lap.

"Diana..." He started.

Diana continues to look at his eyes without encouragement, while listening silently as he speaks.

"I did it, because I considered it the right way." He admires her eyes as he explains.

Diana takes a deep breath and avoids his gaze.

James smiles as his eyes fell on her hands, laying in her lap as he held them gently, he then stands up, helping her to do as so, while their gazes met in opposite spectrums of rationality.

"Diana, I love you so much. I begin to realize I cannot see myself without you." He speaks almost in a hushed tone.

"I appreciate your admiration, but respectfully, I can't even fathom marrying you." Diana declared, her eyes connected with his.

James' brows furrowed, "Diana, I'm in love with you and I don't see it wrong to marry eachother even if we aren't yet considerably close. I promise you that I will make you happy and cherish every moment spending with you for the rest of our lives." James breathed as he confessed it all at once, yet so dearly.

"James." Diana stared at his love-filled eyes, "I-I love someone else..." she then stares down, snatching her hands from his grasp. "Accept it as soon as better." She concluded.

James felt an electric surge through his entire being, as if a thunderbolt had struck him. "T-this can't be!" James pulls her closer, causing Diana's both hands to anchor on his fluctuating solid chest, "You're mine, only mine." His voice hoarsed as he gently gripped her arms.

Diana pushed him away, "Have you lost your mind?" She steps back, and there appeared Sarah, on the very scene.

"Who's he." James spoke sternly, his eyes darken with a sense of desire and frustration. He closes the distance between them, while causing Diana to instinctively step back, creating a tense atmosphere between them.

"What's going on?" Sarah begin to descend the stairs while keeping a close eye on James' movements.

"Tell me, Diana. Who's he..." James' voice echoed throughout the area, he didn't appeared to be dominant, but rather a weak in her love.

Diana swallowed the threatening lump in her throat, "Ch―

"It's me." A cocky voice instinctively made James, Diana and Sarah to look towards. And there, Charles emerged in a dignified posture, leaning against the out-door's frame while thunder enlightened the contour of his sillhoutte.

"I'm hers, and she's mine. All mine."