Chapter 13: Recovery

"We heard her calling out for 'Charles' frequently, but we don't have any idea of who he is, so any of you does know?" The nurse asked.

"No." Jane shook her head while turning to look at Sarah.

Sarah stared at her.

"Well, no?" Sarah shruggs, crossing her arms around her chest.

"His name is Charles." Sarah recalled what Diana told her last week.

"Well, alright then." The nurse said before taking her leave.

Jane looked at Sarah, "What do you think, who Charles is?"

Sarah shifted uncomfortably against the wall, "Well, he is her so-called 'Alter ego'."

Jane shoot her a questioning expression.

"Alter ego? What does that mean?"

"It's so chaotic Jane, I don't want to talk about all this stuff."

Jane sat on the sofa, looking directly into Sarah's eyes.

"Also, I pretended not to know, because I doubt they will settle her in a mentle asylum." Sarah sighed.

"Why is that?" Jane asked concernedly.

"Because she sees someone, no one else can," Sarah sits down, beside Jane, "and he is Charles."

A silent gasp escapes Jane's throat.

"What??" Jane sounded unconvinced and takes a moment to understand the whole situation.

"Sarah please, keep my mind at ease and tell me about it clearly." Jane requested her.

Sarah inhales a deep breath.

"What do you mean she's seeing someone no one else can? How is that even possible?" Jane tried to sound as calm as possible.

"That's what I'm asking, Jane. But it is, what it is." Sarah responded firmly.

"Did she seek any kind of medical help?" Jane asked concernedly.

"Yes, she went to a psychologist before her accident, and she even confronted Charles, which then she told me that he left her once and for all."

"So why she's calling out his name, if he had left her??"

Sarah crossed her arms, eyeing Jane.

"To be fair... I'm disappointed but not surprised." Sarah admitted.

≪══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹═════≫

The medical team suggested that Diana's family must take her outside to experience nature in the hospital's backyard, using a wheelchair.

Sarah decided be there for Diana and accompany her on this task.

After a while.

"How are you feeling Duch?" Sarah asked softly while giving Diana a panoramic view of the backyard's beauty.

"Pretty much well." Diana replies, admiring the nature.

Diana's left hand is being supported by a fabric sling, that she's wearing around her neck since it's broken.

"I'm glad to hear that." Sarah smiled genuinely, "Get well soon, so we can throw a party for your recovery and gather all of our friends!." Sarah nudged Diana just before taking the control on the wheelchair's handles, once again.

Diana simply nodded, while smiling.

Silence.

"Am I bothering you?" Sarah joked.