Chapter 8 :- Hunt For The Clues

I thought about it for a while and realized that we were in trouble, but animals came to help us. I wondered why a person couldn't have saved us, but then I remembered something important. It could be connected to Dylan. When we went back into the woods the other day, we thought that Dylan might be controlling the animals and those vine creatures. So, I think I have figured it out. Dylan, along with the animals, saved all of us. He protected me from me from Mateo's attack, Leo from getting suspended, and Kimmy from Maria's blackmail. Now everything makes sense. Dylan was the one who kept us safe.

So, why did he save us? It's confusing. I've decided not to dwell on it too much because I think maybe I can figure it out when I'm with my friends. If I talk to my friends, especially Ava, she knows all about this. She can help me.

I got out of bed and then took out the copies of the articles. I placed them on my study table, pulled out a chair, and spread them out on the table.

1. On October 23rd, 1975, the police discovered a forest massacre. The remains of twenty people, suspected to be part of a religious group, were found in Riverwood woods several days ago.

2.On November 15th, 1987, a small town in rural Texas was rocked by the discovery of a gruesome crime scene. The bodies of 12 individuals, all members of a local cult, were found in a remote field outside of town. The cult leader, who had been known to preach about the end of the world, was suspected to be the mastermind behind the massacre.

3. In the early hours of December 12th, 1999, police were called to a remote cabin in the mountains of Colorado. Inside, they found the bodies of 15 individuals, all members of a doomsday cult that had been preparing for the end of the world. The cult leader, who had been known to make apocalyptic predictions, was suspected to have orchestrated the mass suicide.

Okay, Alex, remember what Alvin said: "The calmer you are, the clearer you think." Taking his advice to heart, I took five deep breaths and refocused my attention on the articles in front of me. There had to be some hidden clues here, I thought.

Starting with the year, the first witch trial happened in 1975. Twelve years later, the second trial took place in 1987, followed by another twelve-year gap until the third trial in 1999. So, logically, the next trial must have occurred in 2011. It made sense in my mind, but then a realization hit me like a ton of bricks.

I did some quick mental calculations. I am currently 18 years old in the year 2024, which meant that June had died eight years ago, placing her death in 2016. However, if the third trial happened in 2011, how could June have died in 2016? It didn't add up, and the confusion overwhelmed me.

Feeling the pressure to solve this mystery quickly, I took a few more deep breaths, trying to calm my racing thoughts. Suddenly, it hit me like a bolt of lightning. Ava! She was the one who could help me figure this out. Without wasting any more time, I reached for my phone, which was resting on the shelf, and dialed her number.

---Third POV---

Ava answered the call with her usual playful tone, saying, "Yo, Yo, Yo! What's up? Don't tell me you found eyeballs in your dinner."

Chuckling at her quirky sense of humor, Alex replied, "No, no, no, nothing like that. I actually have a favor to ask. Can you come over to my place? I really need your help."

Ava looked confused as he called her at 20.30 am. "Huh? What? Right now?" she asked.

Alex replied, "Yeah, sorry about that, but it's about Dylan and the articles that we found from the library. I need clues. I really need your help with this, Ava. Please try to understand me. I don't want anything to happen to us. I want to solve this."