Chapter 17 :- Fever's Grip

Slowly, I began to stir from my slumber, my mind still foggy from the remnants of the dream. As I blinked my eyes open, I realized that it had only been a nightmare about June's death. I let out a deep sigh of relief and stretched my arms out, feeling the warmth of the covers enveloping me.

As I turned my head to the right, I saw the digital clock on my bedside table displaying the time - 3 AM. It was still the middle of the night, and I knew that I had a few more hours of sleep left before the sun would rise.

I then shifted my gaze to my left, where Alice was sleeping soundly next to me. We were in our usual cuddling position, with her body curled up against mine in a pretzel-like formation. Her head was resting on my chest, and her arms were wrapped around me, as if she never wanted to let go.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're all must be wondering why I didn't place pillows between us to create some distance. Well, the thing is, I used to do that, but every time she wakes up in the middle of the night, she just throws them away and ends up cuddling with me. So, having the pillows there becomes pointless.

It was a routine for me to wake up and see her face first thing in the morning. I seriously hate to admit it but I loved the feeling of waking up next to the person I loved. I reached out with my left hand and ran my fingers through her hair, admiring the softness of it. She stirred slightly in her sleep, but didn't wake up. I continued to stroke her hair, enjoying the sensation of her warmth and the softness of her skin. As I looked at her lips, I felt a sudden urge to kiss her. I could easily take advantage of her. But I knew that I couldn't do it without her permission, and I didn't want to wake her up too. So I held back, content to just watch her sleep.

Suddenly, I heard a scratching sound on my window again similar to the one I heard before going to sleep. I turned my head to the right, but there was no one there.

I slowly rolled out of bed, being careful not to wake Alice. I tiptoed over to the window and opened it, hoping to see what was causing the noise. All I could see was the moon shining down on the forest outside. The wind was picking up, and I could hear the leaves rustling and the branches creaking.

Our orphanage was surrounded by the forest, and the worst thing was bears and snakes sometimes roamed the area. Although no one had ever been hurt, I couldn't help but feel a sense of apprehension. I decided to investigate further, just to be safe.

I walked over to my study table and grabbed my shoes from underneath. I looked back at Alice, who was still sleeping soundly, and then made my way to the window, I opened it, took a deep breath and jumped out into the night.

As I landed on the ground, I could feel the cool grass beneath my feet. The wind was blowing fiercely, and I could hear the sound of the trees swaying in the darkness. I walked towards the forest, trying to see if there was anything out of the ordinary.

Without a trace of fear, I cautiously scanned my surroundings, only to find nothing but an eerie chill that seemed to permeate the air. It was unusually colder than usual, sending shivers down my spine. The scratching sounds I had heard earlier were not a figment of my imagination; they were real. Something was definitely amiss, and my instincts urged me to investigate further. However, a deep-rooted fear held me back, for I couldn't bear the thought of someone entering my room through the window and potentially harming Alice, I stood there, listening intently to the symphony of nocturnal forest sounds for what felt like an eternity, trying to decipher their meaning.

I always walk alone, not because I don't have anyone to walk beside me. The hardest walk is walking alone, but it's also the walk that makes you the strongest. So it was easy for me to walk in the darkness. I forgot to bring the torch but who needs it anyway.