Chapter 26 :- Another Night

As I handed Alice the white froak, I couldn't help but notice the look of excitement and anticipation in her eyes. She took the dress from me with trembling hands and held it against her chest, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

At first, I thought she was just overwhelmed with joy, but as she started to cry, I realized that something else was going on. I didn't know what to do, so I simply wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a tight embrace.

She rested her head against my chest, still clutching the frock tightly to her chest. I ran my fingers through her soft hair, trying to soothe her.

We stood there for what felt like more than 10 minutes, locked in a tight embrace. Finally, she pulled away, and I instinctively lifted her chin to gently wipe away her tears by my fingers. As I did so, I leaned in slowly, feeling the weight of the moment, and kissed her tenderly. After a few seconds, we broke off, our hearts pounding with emotion.

I held her hand tightly, giving it a reassuring squeeze, and gently guided her towards the bed. She clutched onto the frock tightly as we sat down together. Sensing something was amiss, I asked her what was wrong. With a heavy heart, she revealed that she was going to be adopted by Doctor Elizabeth.

I knew that Alice was going to get adopted, but I didn't realize how hard it was for her to leave this behind. I felt a pang of guilt for not understanding her better. I  reluctantly admitted to myself that I struggled to comprehend the complexities of girls and women.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead and wrapped my arms around her again, pulling her into a tight hug. She placed the froak aside and hugged me back, holding on as if she never wanted to let go.

Tears started streaming down her face as she adamantly refused to go with the doctor or be adopted. I tried my best to reason with her, to make her understand that it was for her own good, but she remained steadfast in her decision.

Desperation filled my voice as I pleaded with her, "Alice, please listen to me carefully. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am not sure, but you might get adopted by someone else. However, if you go with Elizabeth, everything will be better for you."

Her sobs intensified, and she shook her head vehemently, her long, dark hair cascading around her tear-streaked face. "No, I don't want to be away from you," she choked out between sobs.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to remain calm, my heart aching at the thought of her leaving. "Alice, believe me when I say, I don't want you to go either. The mere thought of you being away from me breaks my heart. But sometimes, we have to make difficult choices for the sake of our own well-being."

Her tear-filled eyes searched mine, filled with a mix of fear and longing. "But what about us? What about our bond?"

I sighed, my fingers gently caressing her hair, trying to offer her comfort. "Alice, you are more important to me than anyone else in my life. I can't deny that I'm sad too. The truth is, I don't want to leave you either."

As I spoke, I could see the turmoil in her eyes, the conflict between her desire to stay with me and the uncertainty of her future. I cupped her face in my hands, forcing her to meet my gaze. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying, her face flushed with emotion.

With a determined tone, I made her a promise, hoping to ease her fears. "I promise you, Alice, that when I turn 18, I will find a way to get out of this place and come back to you, no matter where you are. I'll find a part-time job, rent a room, do whatever it takes. Trust me, I will figure something out and I will find a way to be with you again. I promise."

Her voice trembled as she spoke, her vulnerability shining through. "But... I don't want that. Why can't you understand? I don't want to leave you. Am I not important enough to you?"