When I See the Way You Look

A/N: yikes. two whole years since the last update. welp, here's an 8K update for anyone still waiting. working on getting all my current fics finished so that I can write new, better ones. 🫰🏼

He’s clawing at the locked and bolted door like a trapped and frightened feral feline, whining through a mouthful of garbled pleas as he comes to the rather grim realization that he is being detained. It hadn't taken him very long to figure out that the door to his makeshift cell had been locked from the outside after he'd spent a considerable amount of time trying the doorknob, switching tactics since this particular strategy yielded him no satisfactory results. 

He's tried kicking it. 

He's tried using himself as a battering ram. 

He's even attempted to search the room for an alternate exit, nearly slicing his hand on a rusty vent grate in his rush to try and pry it from the wall with his oddly dainty fingers. 

The pitiful display of desperation does a damn good job at tugging on Tetsutetsu's heartstrings but he's well aware that he can't allow Katsuki to leave this room no matter how hard he cries and begs him. 

He may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but even Tetsutetsu can tell that something about Katsuki is terribly wrong.

His once impressive physique has become rather macilent, hard lines and muscle replaced by spindly limbs and a lissom body. His hair is overgrown as if he hadn't seen a barber in years. 

His once fiery and flagrant personality seems to have disappeared completely, almost as if it never existed in the first place. He's meek and easily startled, flinching every single time that Tetsutetsu even so much as breathes in his direction. 

He's cowering. 

Since when has Bakugou Katsuki ever so much as even thought about cowering? 

He's recognizable—sure—but it is visibly obvious that this Bakugou Katsuki was not himself. 

He seems to know his own name, at least, but Tetsutetsu is concerned about the fact that he doesn't seem to remember who he is—or who his friends and family are, for that matter. He did seem exceptionally confused when Tetsutetsu mentioned Shouto's name. It all feels like a fever dream—a miracle and a bad situation all wrapped in one big poignant bow.

“Bakugou. You have to stop doing that or you're gonna hurt your fingers in the process. No one is coming to release you just yet. You're only going to cause harm to yourself if you don't calm down.” The steel hero tries to reason with him. He's mildly pleased as the obnoxious scratching ceases but he isn't at all prepared for Katsuki to abandon his escape altogether in favor of kneeling at Tetsutetsu’s feet. He's staring up at him with that tearful gaze, hands clasped together in pure and unadulterated despair. 

“Y-You don't understand! You've got the wrong person! Please just—j-just open the door and let me out and I promise I'll be good! I-I-I don't even understand what it is that I've done wrong! I wasn't shoplifting or anything; you can search me! Please—”

His labored breathing begins to border on hyperventilating as his lungs struggle to keep up with his tongue but even still, he continues this attempt to convince Tetsu that he's innocent even though the hero already knows that Katsuki has done nothing wrong. 

“Please, I'll never come back here again if you just let me go! I-I still have to pick up my son from school and if my husband finds out that I got into t-t-trouble then—”

His Husband?

His son

“Relax, honey, you're not in any trouble. No one's accusing you of doing anything wrong. We're doing this for your own safety, okay? C'mon, sit down and catch your breath. You're hysterical right now.” The larger man tries instead. Perhaps a more gentle approach would have been better from the start. Maybe he could coax some more useful information out of him that way or maybe even trigger a memory. It's a lot easier to catch flies with honey than with brute force and bare hands.