Wondering When

"Izuku, what is your problem?"

"Fuck you, you know damn well what my problem is---"

"Babe, they're trying to help---"

"They're not gonna help him like this, Ei, you know that!" Izuku tries to reason, hands shaking as he goes to reach for Eijirou before they retract to run through his hair. He huffs out an exasperated sigh, sniffling as the urge to cry comes over him. It's been so long since he's done one of his tearful episodes. He doesn't want to cry, but it's damn hard not to with so much anger and fear swirling around him.

He's worried.

Eijirou's brows knit together as he watches Izuku slowly spiral into a meltdown. He wants what's best for Katsuki too, but depriving him of professional mental help when it was long overdue doesn't feel like the right thing for them to do. They've talked about trying to get him help for months now. Maybe this is what Katsuki needed.

"Oh, baby. C'mere, lemme hold you---"

"I don't want to be held, I want for Kacchan to fucking be okay for once! Why is everyone so intent on ruining his life; hasn't he been through enough?!" Izuku's voice cracks and Eijirou's breath catches in his throat as he watches tears fall from Izuku's eyes. He reaches out to hold Izuku, regardless of the weak protests he receives. He shushes him gently, hand going to card through his hair as Izuku cries into his shoulder.

"I know, baby, I know. I want to help him, too. That's why I think this will be good for him. I know that Katsuki isn't going to like it but the road to recovery isn't meant to be a comfortable one. It's gonna be tough. But he needs this, okay?" He tries to reason, but Izuku doesn't respond. Eijirou heaves a suffering sigh, pressing a kiss into the crown of Izuku's head. "I need you to trust me, baby."

"I wanna see Kacchan." Is the only response Izuku seems to have for him.

#

Shouto hums a tune---one very familiar but he can't quite seem to remember where he'd heard it. It's the only thing that seems to help him keep his nerves while he cards his fingers through Katsuki's matted and tangled hair. He takes his time to get the knots out and gently as can. Katsuki is still sleeping, heavy under the influence of the pain drugs they'd pumped into him to help him stay comfortable.

Shouto takes Katsuki's hand into his own free one, bringing the fingers up to his lips to kiss each knuckle.

"Still asleep, hm? Those drugs must've really done a number on him."

Shouto hums, not bothering to spare Takami even a glance as he comes in and sits in the chair next to him. "My father still here?" He asks and Takami nods. "Yeah. Doesn't want to leave without us. I told him you're not gonna wanna go anywhere. He says that he understands...but that he's still not leaving." Takami huffs out in a laugh.

"Funny. It almost sounds like he's worried."

"Mm. You don't give your old man enough credit."

Or maybe Takami just gives him too much. Who's to say?

The older blonde stands to walk around the bed and press his own kiss to Katsuki's forehead, pulling back with a smile. "Oh, honey. You're gonna be okay, aren't you, Kitty Boy? Fighter like you ain't gonna let a bullet take him down so easy." He says, though he knows that Katsuki probably can't even hear him. Takami flashes Shouto another smile.

"I'm gonna go try and get your dad to go to work tonight instead of holding up in the waiting room all night." He says, going to wrap an arm around Shouto in a sort of half hug and kissing him on the head as well. "Call us and keep us updated, okay? We'll come and pick you up when they're ready to send him home unless Kat's parents want to take you instead."

"...yeah. Thanks, Taka."

"Anytime, kiddo."

And like a revolving door, Izuku is coming in as soon as Takami walks out.

He stops just short of the bed, almost tumbling over it. He's short of breath, hands clutching at the edge of it as he lays his wide eyes on Katsuki. Eijirou isn't far behind him but he hangs back to give Izuku his space. Shouto watches him carefully.

"Izuku. Are you alright?" He keeps his voice even as not to startle him. Izuku is reminiscent of a spooked animal.

"No, I'm---I'm okay. Just...seeing him like this is..."

He's shaking, going to sit on the opposite side of Katsuki.

"I'm angry. I'm sad---I'm afraid for him. And I know that they've already thrown that idiot into jail but I want---more than anything else---to hurt the person who hurt him."

Shouto very much understands the sentiments.

But they have to take their wins as they come.

"We don't have to be scared for him, Izuku. Katsuki's gonna be okay. They said---"

"I fuckin' heard what they said." Izuku snaps, teeth gritting together. "Sorry---I'm sorry, Sho. I know you were probably more scared than anyone else. I just---"

"I know. But we love him too. And we came really close to losing him this time. I'm tired of being worried and preoccupied with 'what ifs', Izuku. I'm happy to count my blessings here. He's alive. He's gonna be able to go back to normal and keep his quirk and do what he loves. I don't want to be sad about that, you know?"

Izuku doesn't say anything. Shouto thinks he's overreacting too but he doesn't understand. Izuku is happy. He's grateful. He just...wish Katsuki could have better. He deserves better, doesn't he?

Shouto sighs, reaching out to grab Izuku's hand with his own.

"You're mad at me."

"I'm not; how could I be? It's not like you're wrong. I'm just emotional, 'kay?"

"Promise?"

"Promise." He manages a smile and Shouto releases his hand. Eijirou, still standing against the wall, averts his gaze as he and Izuku lock eyes.

"Ei...I'm sorry I yelled at you. Can you forgive me? Please?"

"I wasn't mad to begin with, honey. I know you're just upset. I just don't like seeing you like that, fucks with my heart. There's nothing to forgive you for." He assures the freckled hero as he steps forward to wrap his arms around him again and squeeze him tight. "Can I hold you now? If not for you then for me." He says with a sheepish chuckle. Izuku does stand and allows Eijirou to sit, holding Izuku in his lap instead. They're going to have to get comfortable if they're all going to be staying there tonight.