The Way You Act

A/N: Hey y'all. *Sigh* I'm bout to piss y'all right off. But it's okay. Just think about the plot. It's all for the plot.

"Shit! Hey, we need a medic!"

It had happened so fast, a chance encounter with some quirkless asshole who thought he could rob a bank with fake bombs strapped to his chest and a plastic detonator. His incredibly unoriginal plan had been to take hostages---using the faux bombs as a threat---and run off with over $20,000 dollars in unmarked bills. He hadn't counted on police to call in the pros since he was quirkless.

He hadn't expected one Katsuki Bakugou to be their bomb specialist.

He'd taken off his gauntlets before entering the building perimeter, not wanting to risk setting off any explosives with his quirk. Within three minutes of assessing the situation and actually getting a good look at the bombs, Katsuki was able to call his bluff and apprehend him without damage to the property or the people in it. The moron might have a concussion but as far as Katsuki's concerned, he'll live. It's a bit of redemption for how horribly his last apprehension had gone---a sort of atonement for the life that had been lost.

No matter how many times they try to convince him otherwise, Katsuki still viewed himself a murderer. It wasn't intentional. But someone still died a horrible death and he'll never be able to live that down. But this time? He's never been so proud of himself.

All Might would be proud.

"Come get this dumbass out of here and in cuffs so these people can go home." Katsuki had told the police on call, beckoning them in from the outside after dropping the assailant flat on his ass. They're ready and willing to commend him for a job well done.

No one would have guessed he'd had a gun.

The only warning he'd received before the gun went off was a loud and shrieking scream from a civilian nearby and all Katsuki could register was being pushed to the floor, the ringing in his ears disorienting. There's something wet and viscous pooling around his hands.

Is that...blood?

He tries and fails to pull himself up from the floor---why is the room spinning?

He raises his hands, breath stuttering as dark and sticky blood coats his palms and runs down his forearm.

He can't breathe.

"Hey! Zero---hey, hey, stay with me, buddy. Can you hear me?"

It's muffled---vision beginning to blur and double---but he can tell that it's Tsukauchi calling out to him. He feels his hands on his face, eyes heavier with every blink.

"No, no, stay awake, buddy, we gotta keep you awake! Fuckin' hell---hey! Goddammit, the kid's been hit!" He calls out as the the perp is stomped to the ground and handcuffed, gun kicked out of his reach. It shouldn't take three of them to drag his scrawny ass out.

"Shit! Hey, we need a medic! Are you fuckin' deaf?!"

One of the officers calls it in and Katsuki begins to panic as realization sets in.

He's been...shot?

"W-Wait, w-w-wait---" He wheezes, eyes stinging with tears as a sharp and searing pain burns through him like rapid fire. "H-Hurts---it hurts!"

"Shhh, I know buddy, I know, it's gonna be okay---I'm right here with you---"

"I d-don't wanna die---p-please---"

"Dammit, fuck, hurry it the fuck up!" The cop starts to panic himself when Katsuki starts screaming in agony. The doors opposite of the ones they're using to evacuate hostages bursts open with a gurney and several medics coming to his rescue.