Chapter 29: Giant in the Forbidden Forest

Hermione walked straight out of the oak front doors and down the stone steps into the balmy evening air. The sun was falling toward the tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest. Umbridge had to jog behind the three to keep up.  

Y/n kept tracing her hand inside her pocket to make sure it was still there, safe and useful in the time of need.

'It's hidden in Hagrid's hut, is it?', said Umbridge eagerly in Harry's ear.

'Of course not,' said Hermione scathingly. 'Hagrid might have set it off accidentally'.

'Yes,' said Umbridge, whose excitement seemed to be mounting. 'Yes, he would have done, of course, the great half-breed oaf. . . .'

She laughed. Y/n felt a strong urge to pull out her wand and Avada Kedavra that woman, but resisted. Harry's scar kept hurting, because he knew what they had to face.

'Then . . . where is it?', asked Umbridge, with a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

'In there, of course', said Hermione, pointing into the dark trees. 'It had to be somewhere that students weren't going to find it accidentally, didn't it?'.

'Of course', said Umbridge, though she sounded a little apprehensive now. 'Of course . . . very well, then . . . you two stay ahead of me'.

'Can we have your wand, then, if we're going first?', Harry asked her.

Y/n's heart paced faster, she never felt so nervous in her life before. Now that the fact idiot Harry was reminding Umbridge about the wands.

'No, I don't think so, Mr. Potter,' said Umbridge sweetly, poking him in the back with it. 'The Ministry places a rather higher value on my life than yours, I'm afraid... Ah, Yes!'

She paused her talk like she had remembered something. Might be Y/n's wand? Yep.

'Where's your wand, Miss Malfoy?', she asked. 

'It's um,. In my bag, I left it in your office, while coming', she lied conveniently. 'It is probably with Oni--- Draco now'.

'Oh, right', she agreed with Y/n's lie. She heaves a sigh of relief, Umbridge believes anything regarding the Malfoys, she probably thinks they're so Trustworthy and Faithful, which Y/n strongly disagrees with. 'Miss Granger, keep going!'

As they reached the cool shade of the first trees, Harry tried to catch Hermione's eye, Nothing helped. 

'Is it very far in?', Umbridge asked, as her robe ripped on a bramble. '

'Oh yes',  said Hermione. 'Yes, it's well hidden'.

'Er — are you sure this is the right way?,' Harry asked her pointedly. Y/n was completely mad with him, he was spoiling all of Hermione's plan.

'Oh yes', she said in a steely voice.'It's a bit further in!'

'Hermione, keep your voice down,' Harry muttered, hurrying to catch up with her. 'Anything might be listening in here —'

'I want us heard,' she answered quietly, as Umbridge jogged noisily after them.She assured him with a slight nod.

They walked on for what seemed a long time, until they were once again so deep into the forest that the dense tree canopy blocked out all light. Harry had the feeling he had had before in the forest, one of being watched by unseen eyes. . . . 

'How much further?', demanded Umbridge angrily from behind him. 

'Not far now!', shouted Hermione, as if Umbridge was deaf. 'Just a little bit —'

An arrow flew through the air and landed with a menacing thud in the tree just over her head. Y/n turned her head, she saw about fifty centaurs charged at them. Umbridge attacked one of them and they caught the stubby woman.

'Nooooo!', Umbridge shrieked. 'Noooooo . . . I am Senior Undersecretary . . . you cannot . . . unhand me, you animals . . . nooooo!'.

Umbridge's wand fell from her hand. Y/n knew this was her chance. She could step forward a bit---

But Harry was too nutty to reach out for Umbridge's wand. A centaur broke it with his hooves, as Y/n saw it. 

'Now!', He roared. With that, Him, Hermione and Y/n all of them were seized by their collars.

'And these?' said the centaur holding Hermione. 

'They are young', said a slow, doleful voice from behind Harry. 'We do not attack foals'.

'They brought her, Ronan,'replied the centaur who held Harry. 'And they are not so young. . . . He is nearing manhood, this one. . . .'

He shook Harry by the neck of his robes.

'And this one's just a kid', The centaur who held Y/n said.

'Hey! I'm not a kid!'

'Please', said Hermione breathlessly. 'Please, don't attack us, we don't think like her, we aren't Ministry of Magic employees! We only came in here because we hoped you'd drive her off for us —'

Y/n knew that Hermione had made a terrible mistake in saying that.

The gray centaur threw back his head and bellowed, 'You see, Ronan? They already have the arrogance of their kind! So we were to do your dirty work, were we,human girl?...We were to act as your servants, drive away your enemies like obedient hounds?'

'No!'said Hermione in a horrorstruck squeak. 'Please — I didn't mean that! I just hoped you'd be able to — to help us —'

'We do not help humans!', said the one holding Harry.

'They came here unasked, they must pay the consequences!'

A roar of approval met these words and a dun-colored centaur shouted, 'They can join the woman!'

'You said you didn't hurt the innocent!', shouted Hermione, with tears. "We haven't done anything to hurt you, we haven't used wands or threats, we just want to go back toschool, please let us go back —'

'We are not all like the traitor Firenze, human girl!'

'Excuse me, Mr. Centaur... ', Y/n spoke up. 'You saw us with your own eyes, didn't you, We are totally disarmed without anything, and this woman, she was the one who forced us to enter in here, and she knew---'

She stopped to hear a crashing noise from somewhere. The centaur who held Y/n dropped her down and backed away. There was this sixteen feet tall, enormous giant, paced up toward them. Y/n now badly wanted to pull her wand out, but she resisted it again.

He opened his mouth even wider. 'Hagger' 

Y/n read Hermione's mind. GRAWP, THANK GODRIC!

That should be his name, Y/n thought. Of course, she didn't know who he was. She looked at Hermione, in confusion... She might share her thoughts. 

Hagrid's brother, Hermione's thought said. Y/n never knew he had a giant brother... but anyways, he did a great job chasing the centaurs away. 

'Oh no', said Hermione, quaking so badly. 'Oh, that was horrible. And he might kill them all. . . .'

'I'm not that fussed, to be honest,' said Harry bitterly. 

'Obviously', Y/n muttered. 'Now, explain what happened, and why you were in that Bitch's office', she demanded.

---------------