Part 15

While Terwyn was rocking Farryn to sleep on the balcony being lost in thought, Thorin joined her. Although the latter was incredibly busy lately as the eldest son of Thrain, and successor to the throne, he tried to spend as much time as possible with Dis and Terwyn and the children.

He himself had not yet taken anyone to be his wife and thus had no children.

Terwyn couldn't blame the dwarf prince for not having a wife yet, he was always so busy. He took such good care of his family, she wasn't sure how he'd ever find dwarf lady worthy of his eternal love. He was like Frerin, he was caring and kind, maybe even a little wiser with the thinking ability of a true king. While Thorin was talking about how proud he was of his family and how happy he was that Terwyn was well and truly back home with two children by now, Fili suddenly approached in full panic.

"Uncle! Terry! Come quick!" He shouted whereby Terwyn fleetingly stood up and put Farryn in his crib.

"Fili everything ok?" Terwyn asked.

"Terry Teylin is not moving!" He shouted after which Thorin and Terwyn immediately ran after Fili. When they saw Teylin at the bottom of a staircase a few corridors further, Terwyn ran to the child and gently grabbed her.

"Teylin?" She mumbled. "Teylin? Please stay with me!" The young woman pleaded as she searched for a pulse. Thorin also soon sat down beside her and carefully laid the child down checking her breathing, soon noticing it too was missing.

"Terry..." He started but this one was already shaking her head wildly.

"No please no! Not my little girl!" She cried. After this, Fili and Frerin also joined in after which the prince too dropped down to Terwyn and pulled his daughter against him.

"No! Fili what happened?" He shouted.

"Frerin calm down it's a child." Tried Thorin.

"She has fallen." Fili then mumbled crying, crawling away scared.

"Come here boy'." Thorin carefully said, hugging and reassuring Fili while Terwyn and Frerin hysterically tried to reanimate their daughter.

Terwyn kept pumping her heart and begging her to come back to her until she had no breathe left in her and Frerin pulled her in his arms. After this Thorin took over in an attempt to safe his niece.

Yet when he had been trying for more than ten minutes he shook his head in exhaustion. Loud sobs filled the halls of Erebor with Terwyn and Frerin's cries.

For hours the two continued to hold little Teylin no matter what one tried Terwyn and Frerin retreated to the bedroom with their lost daughter and held her against them until the next morning arrived. Whether they wanted to or not, they had no choice, morning came and brought them back to reality.

With the morning sun the realisation came for Terwyn that she had more than just her daughter to fight for, though she did not seem to have energy for anything right now. She still had a son who needed her, a partner who could use her support and a kingdom that placed expectations on them all.

So they had to say goodbye to the still far too young Teylin. She would have turned eight in a few months, Terwyn could hardly fathom why such a thing was happening to such an innocent girl. After Terwyn put on her most beautiful dress, Teylin was put on a stretcher and taken to the throne room where everyone came to say a final goodbye. She was covered with flowers and buried besides the mountain.

After this, Terwyn sat with her infant son in the room for a whole day. Dis tried to be there as much as possible to comfort her brother and Terwyn. The dwarf princess clearly felt guilty even though Terwyn knew Dis could do nothing about this and had said so several times. She did not blame Dis or her children and was in a way relieved that this did not happen to them. Towards evening, Thrain also came to offer his condolences and promised to do what he could to be of service to Terwyn and Frerin in these difficult times.