Jake's Invite

Applying my last bit of lip balm, I look away from my reflection in the vanity mirror and onto my phone when I received a notification. Clicking my tongue against the surface of my teeth, my fingers move quickly as I respond to Heeseung's question.

Why'd you let me drink that much? My head is killing me!
-Bambi boy

After dinner, Heeseung and I had a quick drink. A quick drink where we were able to finish almost six bottles of Soju between us- well mostly him.

Heeseung had a lot on his mind so I didn't see it in me to stop him. He was in love with the girl dating one of his best friends, he was also preparing for tour- which meant lots of stressful practice sessions and well, he had finally lost a game of league of legends. He claimed that, that moment was where his downfall began.

I joined you as your friend, not your babysitter.
Y/n

Giggling over at my phone as I recall how he struggled to walk afterwards. Slinging his hand over my shoulder, we barely make it back to his car. Pursing my lips together, I spread my lip balm evenly as my attention is averted to the woman propped onto the framing of my bedroom door.

"You came in late" Kazuha speaks as she looks over at me. She gives me not a chance to respond as she questions "Was it Heeseung?" Smoke emanating from the cup in her grasp.

The smile alone on my face was enough to answer her question and at that, she lets out "I'm happy for you!" Her tone was somewhat flat and very different from her expression but I didn't think too much into it.

I knew for a fact that if not anyone, Kazuha always wanted what was best for me. She rooted for me like no other and I'd like to believe that she'll continue to do so no matter what we may face.

Rocking on her heels as I approach her, I reassure her "We're just friends- that's all!" And in my peripheral vision, I see her shoulders relax as she lets out a breath of relief. Convincing myself not to think too much of her reaction, I hear her say "Let's get going! Ms. Grace is going to kill us if we're late again today?" And with that, we're out the door headed in direction of many boring lectures to come.

By the time our classes had come to an end, Kazuha and I made our way out the doors ready to make the final changes to our assignments and just get it over with.

Jake's invite completely slipping my mind until we pulled into our driveway. My eyes are wide as I peer out the window, calling out to the man who waited patiently.

Looking over at him, I realized that it might've been too late for me to cancel on him. Taking my bag inside, I grasp Kazuha's hand as I say "I'm only going if she goes!" Jake nods at that, the smile on his face falling into a straight line.

It takes us fifteen minutes with Jake's driving skills to arrive at the humongous building. The look on my face made it quite clear that it was definitely my first time visiting- maybe my last but that was the least of my thoughts at the moment.

"Change of plans actually" Jake snaps me back to reality as he lets out "The whole helping out during a fan meeting was a lie." My eyebrows are deeply furrowed as I waited for the man to explain himself.

"Jungwon's birthday is actually tomorrow and we wanted to throw him a little surprise. You know, like setting up balloons and catching him completely off guard. We even have cake!" I couldn't help but to giggle at how excited Jake grew as the words left his mouth. Jake's smile falters when Kazuha rolls her eyes, I would be a fool to think he'd look past her attitude.

"Technically, I only invited Y/n so if you'd like to leave- feel free to do so. You know where the exit is!" My eyes are wide at Jake's words and they grew even wider when Kazuha retorts "I'm sure Heeseung would be happy to hear the way you're speaking to me."

Jake scoffs as her statement, shaking his head in disbelief as he lets out "You're dating one of his best friends for crying out loud. Stop towing around with his feelings already."

Kazuha is silent at that. Tears threatening to fall as Jake hits a nerve. Completely frozen in my spot, not knowing what to do or say next, I hear Kazuha voice in nothing more than a whisper "Let's just get this over with already."

Jake scoffs for a second time, mumbling something under his breath as we finally reach our destination- the practice room.

Jake takes his time, introducing me to the new faces- Sunoo engulfs me in a hug almost immediately "It's so nice to finally meet you, Y/n!" Mumbling a "You too" wondering how he even knew my name. I notice, Ni-ki bowing over in my direction. Mirroring his actions, my eye immediately goes in search of Heeseung.

Smiling to myself when I spot him beside Jay, Sunoo informs, holding a pack of balloons up to my view. "They're going over the choreography in the meantime. We can get started."

It took us forty five minutes to get everything done according to Jake's plan. By that time, Heeseung and Jay were all done with practicing, now joining us in setting up the cake.

Jake prepares a few candles, placing the decorated cake onto the table placed in front of the balloon arch and cat printed backdrop, contentment filling him up at once.

"Great! Now all we need is Jungwon!" Jake chimes as I take a quick glance around the room. Almost as if I could sense it, I look over at Ni-ki to catch him staring at me again. Strangely, as soon as we made eyes contact, he looks away.

Pursing my lips at that, I averted my eyes in the direction of the lovebirds before us as I place my finger by mouth, pretending to throw up "Get a room!"

It's only then I realize that Heeseung was also in the same room with us. My heart sinks at the sight of the man seated in the corner of the practice room- clearly trying to avoid the couple.