Chapter no.8 Starter Pokemon

Professor Oak's warm smile filled the room as he picked up one of the three Pokéballs. "Young Ash, the honor I feel at this moment is beyond words. You are the first trainer to be deemed a Tier 10 talent in Kanto's history," he said, his voice tinged with pride.

Peter nodded, feeling the weight of the expectation resting on his shoulders. "Choose wisely," Oak encouraged, releasing the three Pokémon.

First was Scizor, a stunning, metallic red insectoid Pokémon. Its formidable appearance, with large pincers and a robust exoskeleton, was undeniably impressive. 

Next was Abra, a bipedal Pokémon with a serene, closed-eye expression. Its yellow fur and calm demeanor exuded a sense of tranquility.

Finally, there was Houndour. The dark canine Pokémon was on high alert, its snarl a clear warning. 

Peter extended his hand towards it, only to be met with a warning growl. 

"Nope," he thought immediately, withdrawing his hand.

But as he looked into Scizor's eyes, he saw something that gave him pause. It was a look of pride, a certain aloofness that felt all too familiar to Peter. He recognized that expression; it was the same look he had seen in the eyes of his peers back on Earth, those who always seemed to be a step ahead, always seemed more accomplished, more confident.

To Peter, Scizor's gaze felt like a reminder of his own insecurities. He had spent years feeling overshadowed, always comparing himself to others and finding himself wanting. Scizor's proud demeanor, while admirable, also echoed that sense of inadequacy he had long struggled with.

He couldn't shake the feeling that choosing Scizor would be like choosing to walk in the shadow of those peers once again, always striving but never quite feeling equal. It was a feeling he had hoped to leave behind in this new world, a feeling he didn't want to carry into his journey as a Pokémon trainer.

As Peter focused on Abra, he heard a voice in his head, "Hey, you got any pizza to share?"

Surprised, Peter responded, "You can talk?"

"Telepathically, actually," Abra replied with a dry tone. 

"And you're avoiding my question."

Peter chuckled. "Sorry, no pizza on me. But, uh, nice to meet you?"

"Likewise. I'm the one with the brains here, clearly," Abra said dryly. "So, choosing a starter? Tough choice, huh?"

"Yeah," Peter agreed, "Scizor's cool, but a bit too... prideful for me."

"Oh, Scizor," Abra interjected. "He thinks he's the sharpest tool in the shed. But we all know he's just a pair of fancy scissors."

Peter chuckled. "And Houndour?"

"More bark than bite, if you ask me. He tries to act tough, but he's really a softie inside. Don't tell him I said that."

"I won't," Peter promised, smiling. "So, you're the calm and collected type?"

"More like laid back and lazy," Abra corrected. "But I've got a sharp mind. And I can teleport, which is pretty cool."

"Yeah, teleporting does sound cool," Peter said, intrigued.

"Just don't expect me to teleport you to a pizza place. I'm not a delivery service," Abra deadpanned.

Peter chuckled. "Fair enough. But you seem like a good partner."

"I'm the best choice here, obviously," Abra stated matter-of-factly. "I mean, who wouldn't want a telepathic, teleporting Pokémon?"

"You've got a point," Peter agreed, amused by Abra's dry humor. "I think we'll make a great team."