Chapter no.15 A Dream of Change

The usual Pokémon trainer test was pretty straightforward.

First, you'd take a written exam, then you'd move on to the practical part.

Based on how well you did, the Pokémon League of your region would give you a starter Pokémon.

However, there was a lesser-known part of the exam, a secret one, where the examiners watched how you interacted with Pokémon.

They looked at your behavior, your attitude, and the potential for a strong bond between you and Pokémon.

This wasn't just about being good in battles or scoring high on tests.

The way trainers treated their Pokémon, among other things, was just as crucial.

This hidden part of the exam was there to help trainers who weren't top scorers or battle geniuses.

It gave them a chance to shine in other ways and catch up with their more gifted peers by awarding them a second Pokémon.

These Pokémon, which had been part of the exam, were bred to be stronger than the usual wild ones, helping these less stellar trainers stay in the game.

Ash Ketchum was an exception to the usual rule.

He had aced the standard exam, but it was his performance in the secret exam that made Professor Oak pause.

Rattata, the Pokémon he partnered with for this exam, was visibly depressed—its ears drooped, and it lacked its usual energy. Normally, someone who scored as high as Ash wouldn't get a second Pokémon, but Rattata seemed to have made its choice, clearly wanting Ash as its trainer.

Seeing Rattata's state, Professor Oak couldn't bring himself to separate them. Despite the rules, he saw the genuine bond between Ash and the Pokémon.

Who was he to stand in the way of that? After all, the connection between a boy and his Pokémon was something special, something not to be interfered with.

....

Ash stood there, staring at Rattata with a mix of doubt and consideration.

The thought nagging at him was blunt and to the point: "Do I really want a weak Pokémon on my team?"

He felt guilty for even thinking it.

All those anime episodes he watched back home preached about the potential in every Pokémon, but here he was, sizing up Rattata like it was a second-choice dessert.

"Should I really use one of those spots for Rattata?" he pondered.

Ash was aware he could catch more than six Pokémon, but he didn't want to keep switching them in and out from whatever this world's version of a computer was.

He wanted to build a strong, close bond with his team, not shuffle them around like trading cards.

Curious about what Abra might think, he turned to the psychic Pokémon. "Thoughts?" he asked.

"About?" Abra responded, seemingly oblivious.

Frowning, Ash was a bit taken aback.

"Aren't you reading my mind?" he questioned, assuming that's how Abra's telepathy worked.

"That's not how telepathy works," Abra explained casually, taking a break from its snack. "It's like a conversation. If one of us isn't engaging, then telepathy doesn't happen."

Ash's surprise turned into a sigh of relief. "That's good," he thought. "I get to have my own privacy." It was a small comfort, but in this new world where so much was uncertain, even a little privacy was something to be thankful for.