Chapter no.16 Knowledge

Ash's eyes widened as he took in the sheer scope of Professor Oak's lab.

Everywhere he looked, there was something that begged for attention.

The giant monitor displaying a detailed map complete with Pokémon migration patterns dominated one wall.

Ash's gaze wandering over to a row of complex-looking equipment and rows of shelves crammed with tech and books.

"Impressive, isn't it, my boy?" Professor Oak beamed.

Ash, still trying to absorb everything, turned to Oak with a curious tilt of his head. "Professor, can I ask you something?" He glanced around to make sure they were alone.

"What is it?" Oak inquired, adjusting his glasses.

"What exactly do you do here?" Ash asked, aiming to unravel one of his childhood mysteries about what exactly a Pokémon Professor did all day.

Professor Oak's smile briefly faltered, replaced by a look of confusion.

"I am sure my book, 'Bond: Man and Mon,' is part of the standard curriculum in Kanto," he stated, somewhat taken aback.

Panic swept through Ash like a whirlwind. "Fuck, you dumbass, you couldn't check before saying shit like that," he berated himself internally. His face flushed a deep shade of pink as he frantically searched his brain for a salvage plan.

"Look, look, it's not like Professor Oak is going to suspect us just because we are ignorant on a topic," he reasoned with himself, trying to quell the rising anxiety.

"Ahem, Tier 10, aced the written exam! Say something," his inner voice urged him.

"What?" Ash thought, almost ready to blurt it out loud.

"Anything," his mind hissed in desperation.

"O-Oh, P-Professor, y-y-you wrote that book? That's amazing! I-I-I didn't know that. Could you tell me more?" he stumbled through his words, trying desperately to cover his tracks.

Perhaps Professor Oak was giving him a break, or maybe he actually bought Ash's hurried flattery—which Ash seriously doubted. Oak raised three fingers and began, "My lab primarily focuses on ethology, anthrozoology, and behavioral ecology."

Seeing Ash's blank expression deepen with each scientific term, Oak couldn't help but chuckle.

"My boy, try to read more. A good trainer is a knowledgeable trainer," he advised, his tone light but firm.

Ash nodded earnestly, mentally preparing to add 'read books' to his to-do list.

"Let me break it down for you," Oak continued, warming up to the topic. "Ethology is the study of pokemon behavior in natural conditions—like observing how Pikachu behaves in the wild. Anthrozoology deals with interactions between humans and pokemon—like how trainers bond with their Pokémon. And behavioral ecology? It's about how animals behave in response to their environment—like why some Pokémon migrate and others don't."