Chapter no.18 Rattata and Ash

Ash was pondering a crucial question that he really needed answered: What is the value of a Pokédollar?
With Professor Oak's sponsorship and a deal involving the unknown language that promised quite a lot of money, Ash felt embarrassed by his ignorance about the currency's value.

Suddenly, he heard a squeak.

"Rattata!"

Ash pulled the Pokéball from his pocket. Unlike the ones in the anime, the top part of this Pokéball was made of see-through glass, and through it, he could see a miniature Rattata inside.

"Looks like Pokéballs are like how they were in the Pokémon manga as opposed to the anime, but I still wonder how that works," Ash thought, mentally adding to his list to pick up a book on Pokéballs and learn more about their mechanics.

With this thought in mind, he pressed the button on the Pokéball, releasing Rattata onto the street

"Excited?" Ash asked, watching the purple rat nod in response.

"Training is going to have to wait until I start a proper program, and battles will also wait until we start our journey on the road, okay?" Ash explained, kneeling down to be at eye level with Rattata.

The little Pokémon looked visibly saddened, but Ash quickly reassured it.

"The good news is that I can probably make a training program tonight, either on my own or with the help of Professor Oak. So we can start training either tomorrow or the day after," Ash said, watching Rattata’s excitement reignite.

Ash was reminded of how much he needed to learn—from how Pokéballs worked, to how to train Pokémon, and books on Pokémon trainers and rules.

Rattata jumped onto Ash’s outstretched hand, and he smiled.

"Let's go get something to eat," Ash suggested, trying to place Rattata on his shoulder like Ash Ketchum with his Pikachu.

However, Rattata had other plans and jumped onto his head instead.

"Don’t tell me you’re going to puppeteer me into making a Ratatouille," Ash joked.

Rattata popped her head out of his spiky hair, looking at him in confusion.

Ash chuckled, "Haha."

Then, he asked a passerby where the nearest store was.

This was his strategy to understand the value of a Pokédollar.

He would buy something familiar like chips or soda and compare the price with what he knew from an American dollar.

With some simple math, he could figure out the value of a Pokédollar.

"Still no use for the Pythagorean theorem," Ash joked as he felt Rattata scratching his scalp.

"Hey, careful up there," Ash cautioned gently as Rattata pointed her paw forward.