Chapter no.20 Mama Is Gonna Sue

Ash sighed as he flipped open the book once again, his curiosity piqued by the structure of Pokémon mobility he had yet to fully understand.

"Let's see, ah, here we go," he murmured as he found the section he was looking for.

"Pokémon battling is an expensive endeavor, and as such, many trainers undertake side jobs to fund their passion. The majority of trainers can be categorized into three distinct types based on their mobility and the nature of their employment:

Base Trainers:

These trainers typically remain within the boundaries of a city or town, as their side jobs offer limited flexibility to travel. Most base trainers rely on Teleportation Services to attend scheduled matches, balancing their commitments to their local duties with their battling careers.

Sector Trainers:

These trainers operate within a specific geographical sector. Their occupations are selected to reflect and accommodate this limited range of mobility, allowing them to manage both work and Pokémon battles within a defined area.

Field Trainers:

These trainers enjoy the freedom to move extensively from one location to another. They often venture into forests and other natural landscapes, supported by jobs that allow for significant travel and exploration."

As Ash absorbed the information, he was immediately reminded of every non-player character (NPC) in Pokémon video games—some who stayed in city zones, others who were positioned in natural areas, and those who moved actively through the map. "Hm, I guess there is an equivalent of that in this world," he mused.

Caught up in his thoughts, Ash voiced his question aloud, "Why take on a side job when being a battler pays well?"

"Because Pokémon training is expensive," a voice called out. Ash and Yellow turned to see Daisy and Delia, both dressed in suits as if they were about to leave for somewhere important.

"Pardon?" Ash replied, looking to Daisy for further explanation.

"Well, Ash, do you know what the price of a Pokéball is?" Daisy asked.

"Oh, oh, I know, I know. 1,000 Pokédollars," Yellow chimed in enthusiastically, causing Ash's heart to skip a beat.

"I can only buy ten Pokéballs with my sponsorship from Professor Oak. Holy, what about the rest?" Ash thought to himself as Daisy nodded.

"Looks like you finally get why a battler does a side job," Daisy said, continuing, "It's not just the equipment that's expensive; there's the food, then healing at the Pokémon Center."

"Isn't that free?" Ash asked, hopeful.

"Yes, but only for Class A and above trainers," Daisy explained, then added, "Well, I'm sure my words answered why the majority of trainers do side jobs, but you don’t have to worry. You’re luckier than most because of Gramps’s sponsorship."

Ash nodded, acknowledging that he truly was fortunate.

If it weren't for his uncanny sense of déjà vu of Ash Ketchum, he might have had a weaker starter, and the whole opportunity with Professor Oak might never have happened.

"Luck isn’t going to save you all the time," a voice called in his mind. Ash took a deep breath, realizing he needed to make the best of everything he had. Given that this was Ash Ketchum’s body, troubles with evil teams and legendaries were likely just around the corner.

Ash could feel his heart in his throat.

"Just consider this all beginner luck for being the protagonist. Am I the protagonist, though?" he pondered, recognizing how different this world was from the Pokémon anime.