The Beast

I never got what I wanted in life. But this doesn't mean I was never grateful for whatever I had.

Getting dropped on the gate of an orphanage is not what any 15 day old would want.

I don't remember my much time there but the little bits and pieces I recall, it wasn't that bad.

Everyone lived together there.

And then when I was happy? I was snatched away from them.

I was adopted by a new family and I was asked to call them my parents.

I cried myself to sleep for months . I didn't speak for 15 days.I missed my life in the orphanage. I wanted to go back.

Family.

I didn't know what that word actually meant and I was least interested in knowing it. But then I got what I have been unknowingly yearning for.

Love.

My adopted parents loved me like their own. And before I know it, I realised maybe having a real family wasn't that bad.

Sleeping between them, embraced and tucked in their arms made me feel safe. And soon they became my heaven.

They became my mom and Dad.

5 years passed just like that. And then one day momma told me.

" Veer. We have a big news for you. You.. you are going to have a little brother."

I was shocked.

Hell even mom was shocked. The doctors once told her that it will be very difficult for her to conceive and that was why they adopted me.

But it seems me stepping into their life changed everything.

My lucky charm.

That's what momma called me.

And then miracles got repeated. Avik and Ajuni followed. We were then a complete happy family.

I got more than I wanted.

Parents, brothers and a sister I loved more than anything in this world.

I still remember the feeling of holding her in my arms for the first time. And the pleadge I took to myself.

The promise to protect her from any harm that even dares to roam around her.

I was gifted with more than I ever asked , but then in just one moment. In just once second. Everything was ripped from my hands.

Our parents left us.

And Ajuni's health condition got diagnosed.

The roof over our heads was stolen and we were thrown to the streets. People suggested to put the kids in an orphanage but I refused outrightly.

I was over 18 years.

They were my family.

And in hell will I let them live a life like mine.

Doctors, engineers, actors, singers. I will let them become whatever they wished. But just once, I need to save my Aju first.

" Sir please! Let her go. It's not her fault!"

The girl Darian was literally begging the woman constable and I sigh to take another whiff. The kids are alone at home. Can't these people just hurry up? How long are Ali and this woman going to take?

" Get lost from here or we will put you in as well!"

That pressed Ali's buttons and he suddenly got defensive. Pulling back Darian behind him,he warns the constables.