The Prodigy

I was frozen.

Oblivious. Failing to understand what was happening.

One moment I was having the best night of my entire life and then suddenly it turns out to be the worst. My hazy vision stays fixated at the closed door with an emergency light blinking on top of it.

That always smiling girl.

My brave hearted angel.

My Ajuni.

She can't be having a fate like this. She has to live no matter what.

People are living in this world because of her.

His heart is beating just because of her.

Wiping my teary eyes I stare at Veer's strained broad back. He was staring inside through that little box on the door. His fists were clenched and he was dead silent for the last half an hour since we got here.

He answers Ali, but he hasn't said a word to me.

Whenever I ask something, he just ignores me.

And I won't lie. It cracks something inside me. It felt like I was an outsider. No matter what I did, he will never consider me as a part of his family.

I gave her my everything tonight. My body, heart, soul and mind. What more was that he needed from me to trust me?

Why is he so closed off? And why me of all people?

It's not about you Reinan. He is just really worried. It's not the time or place to think about yourself. Aju is fighting for her life behind those doors.

The door swings open and a doctor walks out. I rush forward to listen to him as he stops in front of Veer and sighs.

" Doctor. How is she?"

The doctor places his hand on Veer's shoulder in assurance and my stomach drops. I just don't feel right.

" We don't have much time left. We need to administer the injection as soon as possible. Or else.... I am really sorry."

" H-ow much time?"

I hear Veer stutter and my heart drops into my stomach. The strong indestructible man I have come to know in these past few months, looked so broken and vulnerable right now.

" 48 hours"

He staggers back and I instinctively move forward to hold him when Ali beats me to it. My hands clench mid-air.

" Excuse me."

The doctor leaves and I rake my fingers through my hair. Dammit!

Veer takes out his phone to call someone but his hands quiver. Struggling he types a message to someone.

" Veer. What are we going to do now? We have barely arranged forty percent of the amount."

He takes a deep breath to look up at Ali.

" I will do something. You focus on getting the injection here on time. Clear the formalities. Place the order. Deposit the amount as advance. Okay?"

Ali nods and starts proceeding with the formalities. While I see Veer dropping down on a chair.

Beads of sweat drip down his forehead as he keeps on pushing the buttons on his phone. I fill a glass of water and settle beside him.

Resting my hand on his shoulder I offer him the glass.

" Here."

He stares at the glass and then up into my eyes. Something flickers in his brown orbs and he avoids my eyes, cursing under his breath.