The Beast

" You are going to kill yourself, Veer."

Ali groans exasperated and I continue to sip tea from the burning cup held in my hand. The hot liquid soothes my sore throat from this morning. And the soupcon of ginger in it ,ads as a catalyst.

My tired eyes stare at the scenic beauty of the marine drive ahead. And I ignore the continues brickering of my dear friend.

His voice has a superpower. He can give you a flaring headache in just half an hour. You just have to talk to him.

Sometimes I wonder why he doesn't make new friends.

Why stuck with a brute like me who hates talking as much as a kid hates strangers randomly pulling their cheeks like they are some public property.

" You are zoning out , yet again!"

He over exaggerates. Throwing his hands in the air and I sigh to finally look at him.

" I have an auto mode that shuts me down around bullshit. "

" Fuc*er!"

He lands a punch on my arm playfully and I bite a smirk to get up and turn around. Jumping over the wooden stool he follows me like a calf follows his mother.

Sliding two ten rupees notes to the old man at the tea stall. I turn around to continue my job hunt.

" Hey! Wait for me"

He catches up to me and we walk across the bustling roads. My grip on my worn out bag remains right as I stop outside the huge building to sigh.

It's not going to be any different. I know, but just to keep his heart I was here.

Outside the 47 floor skyrise building. RR Groups of Companies.

Ali gulps to grip my arm. Concern evident in his voice. His words sounded as more of an assurance to himself than to me.

" Don't worry. You got this. I am sure there is not much completion for this position...."

He is a jinx. We enter and I find the waiting room all packed with men and women, running around like ants bustling in an anthill.

Thick folders were held in their hands like morsels on top of ant heads, their coats were ironed to perfection and their bluchers shined brighter than the damn sun.

I give Ali a duh look and he rubbed the back of his neck.

My worn out loafers and simple sky blue shirt with creme trousers were basic. But to be honest I didn't give a fuc* about clothes.

I am not a model. And this is not a ramp.

" Mr Veer. I have an appointment with Mr Malhotra."

My rough hewn voice made the receptionists eyes shoot up and I watched her take a sharp intake of breath. She shamelessly gawked at me,her eyes roamed around my frame much to my dislike and I grinded my molars.

Beauty is not always a good thing.

Sometimes all it does is waste time. Like she was wasting mine.

" I said. I have an appointment."

My voice came out cold and low this time and she immediately clears her throat to lower her eyes. Her manicured nails trail on the list of names mentioned on the paper clipped on the clipboard .

" Just a moment Sir."

Yes. Now we are talking. Tapping the glass surface in impatience. I wait for her to look up.

And she finally does.

" I am afraid Mr Singh. You will have to wait with others. I will add up your name on the list of present candidates."