The Prodigy

Silence.

There was an eerie silence. Where am I? The blaring sound of the horn is no longer audible and I gulp hearing a thudding heartbeat in my ears.

My heartbeat.

I was alive!

I open my eyes to be welcomed with a strong hardcore chest. And my eyes snap up to have breath divorce my lungs.

Rage. Blinding. Disastrous.

" What the fuck is wrong with you! Are you blind! Can't you see where you are going?"

" Do you want to fucking die!"

Holding my shoulders, Veer was jolting me and I blankly stare at his face.

He was enraged. I haven't seen him so angry before. For Aju yes, but never for me.

Ever.

My thudding heart relaxes but then his rejection resurfaced in my mind. Lifting up my palms to clean my stained tears, I press my hand on his chest to avoid his eyes.

" Let go. You don't need to show fake concern-"

I didn't get to complete. Grabbing my jaw he angles up my face and I had no choice but to look into his fuming eyes.

" Fake! You think all this is fake! Did you even let me complete! You just assumed and ran off-"

" Complete and tell me what! How much you hate me! How disgusted you are of my persistence! How badly you want to get rid of me!"

His eyes softened for a second and I clean more tears with the back of my hand to shake my head in a no.

This is not going to stop. I need to get out this groaning in my chest. I have to tell him everything.

What use was hiding anyways? It was over for us.

" I have.. I have never been so crazy for anyone in my entire life... I came to Dharavi to be close to you.. I took the room beside you... I was worried sick when you fought in the rink."

" I thought this was just infatuation.. it would go away with time, your coldness towards me will only act as a catalyst. But... then I saw your selflessness. Your love for the people you loved. And I .. desperate wanted to be included in that circle.. I wanted to feel how it felt to be protected by you, cared by you."

" You are there for your family and... I needed to be there for you , Veer."

" When you get tired fighting this world, I wanted to be the one to offer you my hand and pick you up."

" I wanted to love you and be loved but..."

Stepping back from him I hold in a sob to speak, my voice a mere whisper over the thunder striking in the dark sky.

" I forgot that love isn't something that can be forced."

" It's a mutual feeling. Not a compulsion."

" You were right. I was stupid, mindless, and clingy. I..I don't know what I was thinking. I am not like this. But you don't have to worry anymore."

" I am going back in a week. After that, you don't have to see my face and endure my irritating presence anymore."

" I will never ever trouble you again."

" Send my love to Aju, Avik and Jay. It.. it was lovely spending time with them. These... you all were the most beautiful memories I have ever made in India."

" Good- bye."

Another thunder rumbled in the sky and I take a look at his beautiful face one last time. This is the last time I will be seeing him.