The Prodigy

Flashback

13 years ago.

My fingers were tightly gripping the lead pencil and my heart was thudding rapidly in my chest. A piece of paper was placed in front of me and my vision was hazy of the digits written on it.

127 into 5687

7224...

There is one more... what is it?

" 10 seconds more, Pumpkin."

His voice whispers from above me and I sneak up a glance to find those blue stern eyes fixated at me. Sitting on the seat opposite me with arms folded on his chest and eyes narrowed, his very view had my insides scream in anxiety.

" 6"

" 5"

He starts the countdown and my heart leaps in my chest. My mind gives me different combinations, 457858 but I couldn't conclude. Sweat dripped down my forehead and my throat went dry.

" 2"

My trembling fingers wrote down the last digit 8, I wasn't sure if it was right or no. But I had to write something.

" And 1"

He gets up announcing and the pencil drops from my fingers. His domineering presence approaches me from behind and I feel my entire body go stiff. He was right behind me, staring down at my notebook.

His dark shadow was showing my little one.

I look down at the piece of paper and my stupid mind finally answers ,722249. No! Its wrong! Just one digit! Panick constructs my chest and my trembling fingers move to pick up an eraser when his heavy voice booms behind my ear.

" Its too late now, pumpkin. Put that eraser down."

Breathing was becoming difficult. My eyes stay fixated on the main door. Hoping for a miracle. Please someone come inside, Martha, Jemmy, any of the maids? MoM? Dad?

But who was I kidding. No one ever comes. His instructions were clear.

" If you want your girl to be extraordinary. I don't want anyone intruding our class."

Mom and Dad are never home. I was left at the mercy of this man's wrath.  Anyone, please!

" Please no. Its 722249. I am sorry-"

" Silence! Not another word from your mouth!"

He roars behind me and my entire body trembled. My back becomes stiff as a board and more tears drip down my eyes.

" How many times am I going to explain you the same concept, Pumpkin. You have been a really bad girl. You haven't done your homework and everyone knows what happens to bad girls."

His hot breatg tingles behind my ear and I flinch again. My fists clench the hem of my frock as his words register.

" They get punished."

" No! Help-"

I get up to scream when his huge hand muffles my cry and my back is pinned on the table. My teary eyed meet the monsters blue eyes and a sick smirk forms on his lips.

" Shhh Pumpkin. No one is going to help you.Why don't you understand it?"

" You tell a word to anyone and I will start with shooting your mothers head off."

Tears streamed down my eyes and he rolls his eyes to take out his phone. Pressing on some buttons, he shows me his screen.

MoM and Dad were sitting in a cafe in Italy. Dad said something and she cracked up, her smiling face welcomes me.