chapter one: your neighbour

"Twelve, thirteen, forteen and...fifteen.", Chaeyoung counted as she arranged the sets of rice cakes into the basket. "Alright, this should be enough for my neighbours here.", she closed the basket lid before her phone rang.

A smirk formed upon her lips as she read the name on the screen.

"Wow, Lisa. You really had an emergency yesterday, hm?", she asked right away after she picked up her best friend's call.

"Yeah, I told you already my aunt came to Seoul and asked me to take her children out. You didn't believe that, do you?", Lisa replied before yawning.

Chaeyoung chuckled, "Yah, what did the kids do to you? You sound so tired.."

Lisa responded with a low sigh, "They...the two siblings are little menaces. They made me run here and there with them at the theme park. I totally passed out after my aunt came to get them home. I'm sorry I didn't help you, Chaeyoung."

Her long explanation made Chaeyoung pout in pity, "It's okay. You still helped me get the movers, Lisa."

"Speaking of that, how was it? Have you done unpacking and everything?", Lisa asked despite the tiredness in her voice.

"Yeah, my bedroom and the kitchen are done. My living room still needs some arrangement to do. I'm not yet decided with the sofa's placement and the table.", Chaeyoung answered.

"Alright. I can help you out with that. I'll come over at 3 later, I'll bring the steak you like too. How about that?", Lisa suggested.

Chaeyoung hummed before agreeing, "Okay, I need a second opinion too. That'd be great."

"Cool, I see you at 3, Chaeng.", Lisa replied before they ended the call.

After that, Chaeyoung took her basket full of rice cakes and walked out to give them to her new neighbours.

Her first destination was the neighbour next door, unit 120. She rang the bell of the door once.

No response.

She rang it again.

No response, again.

At this moment, her fingers were already fidgeting on her side as she waited.

"Alright, last try.", she whispered before ringing the bell for the third time.

A few seconds later, the door is opened.

"Yes?", she heard a man's voice.

She looked up to see the same man from yesterday, opening the door of the unit 120.

"Oh...it's you.", she pointed at him, realizing that he was going to be her next-door neighbour.

"Yes, what can I help you?", he asked her.

"Oh, um...I'm Park Chaeyoung, I just moved in next door at unit 121-"

"Yeah, I know. You moved in yesterday, Ms Park.", the man cut her off from finishing her practiced greetings.

Chaeyoung felt a pang of embarrassment through his words.

"Is there anything you need?", he asked again.

"Oh, yes, no...I just...wanted to give you some rice cakes. Here.", she handed him a set of the rice cakes from her basket.

He looked at the rice cakes before accepting it, "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'm sorry if I disturb you.", she managed to say before he excused himself when he heard his phone ringing.

When the door is closed, Chaeyoung pouted at how her first interaction with her new neighbour did not turn out as she expected.