chapter seven: your favourite

Jungkook was never a good liar nor a good actor. If anyone close to him teased him about Chaeyoung, he would stutter, and they would know he was trying to lie to them. And that person would be Jieun who had been questioning his lack of concentration at work these few days. He often was seen daydreaming at work and almost hurt his own hand while making a hot coffee.

There was one day, he mistook a customer as Chaeyoung and Jieun witnessed it with her own eyes, so she asked him if he was dating the blonde girl he called just a neighbour. Of course, he denied but his stutter did not convince Jieun to the point that Jieun provoked him to spill the truth.

"I like her but we're not dating.", that was his answer.

Jieun smiled and offered him her assistance to win Chaeyoung's heart but he refused, telling her that he could work on it by himself. However, it had been two weeks now that he had not seen Chaeyoung at all and he was about to lose himself. This morning he woke up to go to work, he planned to check on her but as soon as he stepped in front of her door, he froze.

All of a sudden, he became nervous. His hands were not moving even though his mouth had been devising a plan for him to ring her doorbell. His head was full of possible conversations that he would have with Chaeyoung if she opened the door. His breath almost stopped as he tried to think of what he would say when he saw her. After a few minutes of hesitation, he gave up.

He did not have a good reason to check on her. They were just neighbours. He reminded himself of that bitter fact.

♡♡♡

"Welcome to GoldenGrove.", Jungkook greeted as the door of the cafe opened.

He was arranging pastries in the display case when the customer came to the counter. He looked up to the customer before recognizing who it was.

"Oh, hi...you're..Chaeyoung's friend, right?", he asked.

The customer also looked at him with a knowing expression, "You're Mr Jeon. Chaeyoung's neighbour."

He smiled before nodding.

"It's Lisa.", she reminded him of her name.

"Lisa, yeah, I'm sorry I forgot.", he replied. "Anyway, how can I help you, Ms Lisa?", he asked.

"Actually I'm here to get those mochi I tried before. I don't know if you know..."

"Avocado mochi. Yeah, that's my recipe. How many do you want?", he cut her off as soon as he remembered about it.

Lisa nodded, "I want five pieces, please. I'm going to bring it to Chaeyoung later."

"You're buying it for Chaeyoung?", he sounded concerned as he heard his neighbour's name.

"Yes, she just came back from a work trip so I'm going to see her and send Hank back to her after this.", Lisa answered.

"Oh...okay.", now he knew why he never bumped into her or saw her anywhere these two weeks. "I'll get them ready for you. Is there anything else you want, Ms Lisa?", he asked her.

Lisa looked around and ordered something else before she waited on a table for her orders.

♡♡♡

Hyunjin was so excited to end his shift until he got a call that completely turned his mood sour for the rest of the day. His shift was supposed to end at 2 in the afternoon but he had extended the hour in the last minute before his shift ended. Jungkook realized the change of mood in his face and decided to ask him when they were alone in the kitchen.

"Hyunjin, are you okay?", he asked as he approached the younger man who was washing the plates at the sink.

Hyunjin pouted at the question.