chapter twenty: your worst

TW // suicide; somewhere around the part where Chaeyoung will tell Jungkook about her daughter

♡♡♡

Lisa's house, 10 AM.

Jungkook arrived at the front door sharp at 10 in the morning. He rang the bell twice before Chaeyoung opened the door for him. He was going to smile as he saw her but she surprised him with a sudden hug.

Her arms wrapped around him as he was speechless with her action.

"Chae- Chaeyoung, are you-"

"Can I hug you? Please...", she cut him off, her voice cracking as she spoke.

He smiled warmly, "You're already hugging me, Chaeyoung. Just...take your time, I'm not going anywhere."

His heart was beating loudly, he prayed that Chaeyoung was not aware of it.

♡♡♡

Chaeyoung had fallen asleep while Jungkook was busy in the kitchen, making breakfast for her. He knew that she probably did not eat anything yet and he was right when her stomach suddenly growled when she was hugging him half an hour ago. Luckily, he had come prepared with fresh ingredients from his home to cook for her.

When he was done cooking, he brought a tray full of food to the living room before he carefully put it on the table and looked at her face. Her eyes were puffy, the usually bright complexion on her face seemed flushed and her weary expression pained him. He knew she must have had a long, bad week drowning herself in sadness all alone.

"You must've been tired...", he whispered as he moved a strand of her hair from her face.

Chaeyoung stirred before she slowly opened her eyes and moved her body upright, "Jungkook..."

"Chaeyoung, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?", he looked at her in concern.

She shook her head, "I shouldn't be sleeping, though. I've slept a lot already.."

Jungkook looked at her with pity, and it made her look away from him.

"Jungkook, what are these?", she asked as she saw the full tray on the table.

"Oh, it's your breakfast. You told me you haven't eaten so here...", he pushed the tray lightly to her direction.

She smiled shyly, "I didn't say anything.."

He chuckled, "Your...tummy kinda did it for you."

She turned away, feeling a bit embarrassed about the incident of her stomach growling earlier.

"There's a smoothie, banana and strawberry mixed smoothie. Salmon salad, poached eggs with potatoes, some carbs in this mussels spaghetti and...my favourite toast. Avocado toast.", Jungkook introduced each of the food and when he lifted the toasted bread to show sliced avocado, Chaeyoung sneered a little to it. "You don't like it, do you?", he asked with a small laugh.

"No, I just...I'm not really fond of it but-"

"It's okay. I'll eat it-"

"No, I mean...let's share it?", Chaeyoung asked, she was almost telling him that she could eat anything he cooks but she still had a little dislike for avocado especially if she can still see the features of it unlike the last time she had the mochi he made.