Chapter 15 - On your left

I wake up in my bed, blinded by the lights. Hoping everything that took place yesterday was maybe or maybe not a nasty dream. But the newfound calm in my mind and the memories imprinted are clearly not made up. 

The calm washing over my mind and the healing of my soul feels new and fresh. I felt... good. For the first time in three months after I unlocked my powers as well as my HYDRA past, nothing disrupted my peaceful mind. I opened my beside table and pulled out my diary and a pen. By scribbling my thoughts, feelings, recent events and Loki's poem along it's neat lines, I allowed myself to detach from it.

 After stowing it away once more, I jumped out of bed to start my day. Like every morning, I opened my windows and changed into my training gear before heading over to the track. 

There were slight gusts of wind that shook trees, hair and grass, freshening up the air. Skies were a clear, vivid blue and projected brightness everywhere. The shimmering pool water glinted softly and I desperately wanted to take a swim instead of running with the guys. However, I really needed that run. 

Steve, Bucky and Sam were already there when I arrived and waved me over. I dumped my water bottle and sweatshirt, standing only in my sports bra and sports shorts before tying my laces. We started streching together and warming up. I actually named all the muscles we were stretching whilst doing it, making Steve and Bucky chuckle but Sam mutter "nerd" under his breath.

"Okay are you ready guys?" asked Steve once we were fully prepared.

I gazed off towards the tower and saw the rest of the team had joined to see how I'd fare against the other guys. Tony pretexted the Wi-fi was better outside and it helped him think to be surrounded by fresh air. The rest of the team including Loki had just conveniently decided to host a huge breakfast outside for after the run. So all of them went to the sidelines to watch. I was pretty sure I heard Tony mumble to JARVIS to record and watch the race. These team members.

"Let's goooo!" shouted Sam at the top of his lungs 

We started off soft for the first mile and steadily increased the pace. I didn't know what was happening to me, wether it was the full night's sleep, the clear skies both outside and inside but something pumped me up. My energy was thriving. 

Second mile done, we went even faster. Same for the third to sixth mile. Now we were actually running fast, our feet hitting repeatedly the track's rubber ground. Sam was already running out of air and started slowing down before stopping at the seventh mile. 

"And that's Sam aka pigeon dropping out of the race. Y/n is clearly doing really well!" boomed JARVIS, making everyone cheer whilst Sam threatened to destroy JARVIS's wiring for calling him a pigeon. 

"You still holding on doll?" Bucky grinned at me between taking breaths 

"Of course, I'm not a pussy." I replied, earning a cough of laughter from Steve

"Daaaamn. Okay if that's what you want. Let's turn it up Steve!" cackled Bucky before increasing the speed with the super soldier once again. I pushed harder, still keeping up with the both of them without feeling too tired. 

Tenth mile and Steve was becoming slightly red. Twelth mile, still holding on. At around the eighteenth, Steve slowed down, out of breath in the middle of the track. 

"ON YOUR LEFT!" I shouted before giggling and sprinting away. 

"H-How?" gasped Steve 

I grinned and decided I'd mock the two boys a bit. That's when I started seriously sprinting. I saw the entire world blur next to me due to the speed I was going at. Focused solely on my breathing and the sound of my feet on the track. 

Passed Bucky and Steve twice not without shouting "On your left!" and doing a mock salute. 

Thirty miles in, and Bucky and I were still going strong. We were elbow to elbow. Sweat glinted on our temples and foreheads whilst our breathing increased. Still pounding the floor with our trainers, we continued on. 

Finally, at the thirty-fifth mile, Bucky ground to a halt behind me, hands on his knees, trying to regain his breath. Desperate to anahilate all of their egos, I went to the maximum of my speed for the next two miles before stopping in front of a gobsmacked team. I was positively beaming. Chest heaving, hair falling out of my ponytail, beads of sweat all over my face and panting, I went to sit down on the soft grass. I never chugged water so fast and with it came relief all over my strained limbs.

 Bucky came towards me and wrapped me in his arms; Steve did our handshake and Sam clapped me on the back. Tony looked so proud but also suspicious of my newfound speed and suggested I get tested by Bruce for any new abilities. Nat and I did a hip bumb whilst she hollered "that's my bitch!" and had Steve shouting "Language Natasha!". Thor was most thrilled of having 'such a capable lady on the team'. 

Loki's reaction, however, lit up my world and for a moment I could only see him. He had a bright smile on his face as his head rested on his hand, elbow on the table. Curls fell on his face and he had a dreamy air on him. 

"You're so wonderful darling." he whispered in my mind and my stomach did literal flips. I wanted to rush over and kiss him so badly. "I can make that happen if you wish." he answered, whilst licking his lips and flashing a flirty grin, his pinky resting on the corner of his mouth. 

I could feel heat rushing to my cheeks and his low chuckles didn't help at all.

"Okay guys, settle down for breakfast. Well done Y/n honey by the way." Pepper annouced, giving me a huge smile. 

After that huge run, I was ravenous. I devoured eggs, toast, pancakes, juice, fruit salad; all piled high on my plate. The mood was as warm as the air around us. Everyone was chatting, laughing, enjoying being together after the stress of missions. Even Loki seemed happy and included for once. He would glancing at my direction even when I wasn't looking and smile fondly, making my heart flutter and melt at the same time.

Nat was sitting next to me and the raven haired god across from me. Soon,  she started nudging me in the ribs several times whilst doing suggestive eyebrow movements. It was so obvious that Bucky understood and joined in too. To hide from them, I kept drinking or keeping my head down, towards my plate. 

"Don't hide your pretty face." Loki snaked inside my mind once more now grinning widely. Nat opened her eyes wide and kept pestering me about it. 

"You know what Tony?" nat asked, setting her fork down from her plate of crêpes.

"I know a lot of things so tell me." Tony raised an eyebrow

"Shut the fuck up Nat." I hissed in her ear and she swatted me away as if I were some unwanted fly. I knew exactly what was on her mind. 

"Why don't we all go for a swim afterwards?" she suggested 'innocently' 

"That's a great idea! Meet at the pool after." Tony clapped his hands and announced. The team responded in cheers and whoops. 

"Oh you're a dead woman Romanoff." I whispered and she smiled widely.