Chapter 22 - Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind

My thoughts raced as to why Loki might want to meet me in the garden tonight, thousands of scenarios flitting past my closed eyelids. I supposed I'd have to dress nice but then again I didn't know. He hadn't said anything nor left me a clue and same went for the rest of the Avengers. I was in blissful ignorance except it wasn't blissful since it caused questions to push around my mind. I started slowly emptying it out by becoming one with my power. I focused solely on the fire that shone within, the silkiness of my power flowing through me, the pumping of gold through my crimson veins until oblivion greeted me. Until silence and emptiness filled by once crowded mind. This being done, I managed to sleep a bit, luckily just enough to replenish me but not to make me fall actually asleep.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and made my way towards my walk-in, thinking over the options. Nothing could go wrong with chic casual right? I picked out a slim f/c dress with a black ripped jean jacket and some ballet flats as well as some gold jewelry. I slipped it on and gazed at my reflection, fully satisfied before spritzing on my perfume and adding some light makeup. I didn't bother with doing anything elaborate with my hair, sticking to mosturizing it and combing softly so it was perfectly defined to my liking. I did a little spin once then twice and made a silly face in front of the mirror, pleased by my reflection.

To pass the time before heading downstairs to meet with Loki, I continued playing around with my powers, creating ice butterflies who floated a bit around the room before melting away into thin air. Luckily as if to save me from boredom, Steve came to knock at my door, allowing himself in almost immediately.

"How are you sunshine?" he asked, sitting on my bed, making it sag ever so slightly under him.

"I'm good, what about you?"

"I could be better. I'm just very confused right now." Steve sighed and started fiddling with his clean, short nails.

"About what?" I ask, lifting my head to examine him further. He did seem more distant and with more droop in his usual hero stature.

"Love." he answered simply.

"Ah, the great Captain America, if you please, comes to ask little me for romantic help. Why are you confused? Aren't you going out with Riley? "

"Well yeah, but I don't know how to feel about us."

"What do you mean?" I shifted on the bed to come closer to him until I was right next to him, shoulder to shoulder and started tracing patterns on his skin.

"Don't get me wrong, she's extremely nice, caring, funny, all the good things."

"I feel a strong however."

"Yeah, however she's been getting more distant and not communicating. As well as being secretive. "

"Oof. You tried telling her I suppose?"

"She didn't want to talk about it. Now I've just learnt that she moved out of her flat two weeks ago and changed jobs which are both huge things without telling me, her boyfriend. I asked her if she needed space, she said no. She stopped texting me as often as well." Steve sighed once more, clearly weighed down by the situation in front of him.

"So she says she doesn't want space but still keeps pushing you away more and more?"

"That's basically it."

"Ouch. Tough shi- stuff Steve."

He chuckled lightly at my near slip-up but shrugged his shoulders. This did seem to affect him a lot.

"Did the background checks pick up on anything?"

"No. Even in S.H.I.E.L.D records it didn't say she moved away."