Chapter 10- Love will always prevail

Smoke clung the air, covering the battlefield and wrapping everything in a dark shadow. Visibility was pratically impossible; the team relying on their communication systems and weapons. 

The wet, marshy land slightly gave way under their feet as they trudged out of the base. Suddenly, Serbian cries were heard and the team took off running. 

Grabbing and hiding behind trees, sprinting in the soil, kicking up dirt with their boots, the Avengers escaped the HYDRA base with all the strength left in their tired limbs. 

Gunshots broke out and were answered with others. More pops rung out in the hazy forest as the team struggles to regain the Quinnjet. Natasha roughly punches a man in the guts and stabs the other one who tried to creep up on her, in a daunting calm. The Serbian HYDRA members were stalking them in the woodlands like hounds picking up on a scent. 

Hawkeye climbed to the second lowest branch of a tree and, covered by the green leaves, started firing precise arrows who sliced the evening air. More and more opponents fell to the forest floor as the team retreated carefully to where the jet was dissimulated.  Tony blasted off the last few men and breezily jumps into the jet; the doors sealing shut a few instants later. All of the Avengers let out a collective sigh of relief as if they had all held their breath the entire time. They started removing gear, stretching, groaning, cleaning and letting themselves fall comfortably in the seats. 

This had been the second base destroyed. For the last one, they would have to call Loki. But all of them were too exhausted to even think straight. 

Everytime the mission included HYDRA, Bucky became cold, emotionless and silent, retreating to a world only accessible by him. He thought of Y/n again; her thought dancing in his mind like the flame of a candle and shining just as bright. She had that beautiful peaceful smile on her face, the one she always bore around him or whilst enjoying the sunset. He silently prayed and hoped in his soft heart that she was safe, alive and still free minded. 

<>-------<>--------<>----------<>---------<>--------<>

YOUR POV:

You stood up, tired. You didn't even know what tiredness even was anymore. Barely sleeping, barely eating, barely drinking, barely living almost. Barely anything. Days had fanned into other ones and slowly the warming glint of hope and freedom had receded like a candle dying out; no longer was it's warmth or light any use to you. You kept fighting to try and survive with all the might in your frail body but slowly felt it leaving you. You knew you couldn't die and that you wouldn't; your stubborness had kept you alive so far. 

The floor was rough concrete with odd tiles hapzardly placed about. The room was quite small but for the amount of time you spent in it, it did the job. No windows, no carpets, no friends, no mirrors, no clock, nothing. Nothing to indicate the flow of time or the fact that you were even still alive, not having turned into a wispy ghost. 

Silence shrouded the base, only broken by the regular clinking of rough boots on the hard floor. You went back to lying on the battered mattress spread on the floor, the light covers protecting you from nothing except perhaps being coverless. 

Soon you started drifting back off to soundless, emotionless sleep. 

<>---------<>---------<>----------<>--------<>---------<>

 "GET UP! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" 

Two guards pulled you up by the armpits and dug their strong grips into your forearms. In the tucks of your greyed, destroyed, ripped dress from that gala lay a piece of metal you had managed to sharpen over the weeks, just waiting for the perfect moment. Now it was upon you, finally basking you in its golden light.