Chapter 25 - With all due respect

Night fell around you, cloaking the tower in darkness and silence. Only the city far below still thrummed with life and lights. You walked over to the balcony to gaze up at the night world. Somehow when the sun sets, it's as if the world changed, just like a coin had two sides. Night shifted the feel of the city. A few pale stars flickered in the dark sky, fighting against the blinding lights of New York. No clouds covered the dark blue drapes of the sky, leaving it clear and empty. You knew you should be sleeping as the trip was tomorrow at dawn but you couldn't. 

Not the best night to not sleep, you muttered to yourself, knowing your body didn't give a damn about the trip or you being tired. It hit you again, you were leaving tomorrow for Asgard. To meet the royal family. Casual right? You sighed, your breath mixing with the cold night air. Finally, you wrenched free from the magnetic pull that kept you on this balcony so often and closed the doors, pulling the curtains together afterwards. 

You flopped on your sheets, rumpled from your tossing and turning a few minutes ago. For a while, you just stare at the ceiling blankly. It must be scary, you thought, if someone just walked in on you like this, staring into nothingness as if dead. Grateful for your eyelids finally feeling heavy, you let yourself dive into the comforting arms of sleep, arriving like a much awaited guest. 

<>---------<>-------<>--------<>----------<>---------<>

"Y/n. Y/n." 

Someone shook you firmly yet still with gentleness. You groaned and turned around, facing the other way than the one who was trying to rudely interrupt your sleep. The shaking intensified. In a semi-conscious state where one is tethering between sleep and alertness, you slapped the person hard, desperate for them to leave you alone. 

"Y/N IT IS TIME TO RISE!" boomed a loud voice, jolting you wide awake. "I knew that would work." chuckled the blonde god who was currently patting your back softly, as if to apologise for his previous actions. 

"Thor Odinson. I will commit arson if you dare to do this again to me." you muttered through gritted teeth, scowling as your body slowly escaping the grip of sleep. He simply smiled brightly and left the room, not before telling you to be ready in fifteen minutes and to meet him on the roof afterwards. 

Today was the day you went to Asgard. It felt momentous in your mind, weighing heavy like a huge boulder. To go to Asgard. It kept running through your mind with the regularity of a toy train, constantly going round and round. You took a deep breath, desperately trying to stay calm. It would be fine. Completely, totally, absolutely, 100 percent fine. 

After taking a quick shower and slipping on your suit, you picked up the backpack where you had stuffed the bare necessities, knowing all would be provided for and closed your bedroom door. You stepped inside the lift, feeling it slowly glide up to the roof. The doors opened with a satisfactory dinging noise and you were outside. The dawn air slapped your face, removing the last scraps of fatigue inside of you. Dawn was softly creeping up, it's pinkish tips appeared in the dark blue sky. 

Loki smiled softly and tapped your shoulders. Something flowed behind you out of nowhere  and you saw he had added a gorgeous dark green cape to your suit. Tony would not like that, you knew it. He grinned proudly and mumbled something about it being more fit for Asgard as well as meeting the royal family.

"Ready?" Thor asked as he lifted his hammer, joy penetrating his bright irises. You both nodded and he boomed "Heimdall, open the Bifrost!" 

Instantly, it felt like you were being sucked through a tunnel, travelling in a bright beam of light. Loki and Thor seemed unbothered, having done the roundtrip several times before. Barely a few seconds later, your feet touch solid floor and the blinding light gives way to an entire gold setting.