Chapter 2: Checking Out the Ramos House

Lena drove down the street that Ms. Tina had directed her. She looked left and right and saw several stores and restaurants that seemed as if they belonged in a thriving commercial district. And before she turned to the street that led to her new house, she caught a glimpse of a huge building. It looked like a mall. Many of the shops were visible from the outside through the lightly tinted glass walls. It took Lena a great deal of willpower to keep driving to where she was supposed to be headed.

As Lena cruised down the tree-lined residential street, she scanned the houses in the neighborhood. The houses were of various architectural styles and were well maintained. They were neither old looking nor aesthetically lacking. Most even featured beautifully manicured lawns. And there were people too. Some were having a chat in their yard, some were walking their dogs, some were busy with their phones. There were kids playing too. There were people and families of different sorts.

After a few minutes, Lena arrived at the Ramos house. She gasped as she beheld the two-story brick dwelling. The series of clerestory windows beneath the flat roof glistened as the afternoon sunlight hit them.

Already big, the Ramos house occupied only about half of the fenced lot. As Lena maneuvered her car in front of the property, she remembered that Mr. Lim had handed her a gate remote. She tried it. It worked. The two panels slid to the sides. She then drove the car into the generous carport, which was flanked by potted fiddle leaf fig trees.

As Lena turned off the engine, she looked around. Someone must have been taking care of this place too. The front yard was clean, the grass trimmed, and the bushes and potted plants healthy. There was also a wide porch with a cushioned rattan sofa set. And hanging from the ceiling was a wooden swing.

She got out of the car and made her way to the back of the house. There was a towering mango tree partly shading a patio that had a couple of rocking chairs. At the center was a small pond where vibrantly colored koi fish were swimming. Brick tiles led to French doors that provided a view of a large kitchen with a long island.

Lena rummaged in her bag for the house keys. The keys were neatly labeled. She unlocked the French doors and opened them carefully. Before going inside, she vigorously wiped her shoes on the mustard-yellow mat. She could barely contain her excitement.

The kitchen was light and airy, thanks to the French doors and large windows. It featured modern appliances in matte silver finish and cabinetry that had been only lightly stained to show the exquisite wood grain pattern. To the left was the mudroom, which had tall closets for coats, bags, and shoes. There was a nook with a cushioned bench and a monochromatic artwork of semicircles on the wall.

Next to the mudroom was a laundry area with a washer and dryer set, opposite of which was a deep and wide stainless steel sink. She touched the marble countertop only to realize that it was quartz like the kitchen countertops.

Beyond it was a large bathroom. The walk-in shower was inviting with its big black rainfall shower head. The white subway tiles that covered all the walls were glossy and complemented the bold black-and-white geometric floor tile pattern. They also made the brass-finished hairpin legs of the wooden vanity stand out. Except for the ones in the walk-in shower, the fixtures also had a brass finish.

To the right of the kitchen was a generous and fully equipped butler's pantry. The next room was a small office with a wood-and-glass panel door. Inside was a sleek wooden desk with a pair of equally sleek chairs with black leather seats and backrests. There were framed photographs and blueprints of buildings by renowned architects.

Another door led to a big bedroom in sage, taupe, and light grey. There were hints of dusty rose and peach on the pillows and blanket on the king-size wooden bed. Lena touched the hardwood floor. It felt warm. Underfloor heating?