Chapter 26: Waking Up Yet Again

Lena heard a voice calling her. Someone was gently tapping her shoulder.

"You shouldn't sleep here," the concerned voice said. "You might catch a cold."

It was Tita Martha. Lena slowly opened her eyes.

"At least you've had dinner," TIta Martha noted. "Let's go."

Lena stood up and linked arms with her aunt. She leaned her head on Tita Martha's shoulder.

"Thank you very much for everything, Tita," she said.

Tita Martha squeezed Lena's arm with her free hand.

"And I bet Ate is very thankful too," Lena added.

Tita Martha's eyes watered. She hugged Lena and cried.

"I miss her," she confided. "We miss her."

Lena squeezed her tightly. She was about to cry too. Just then Tito George came out.

"There's a chill in the wind, ladies," he declared. "Come inside and have some tea."

"What are you doing?" Tita Martha asked as she dried her eyes with her handkerchief.

Lena had gone back to the table to clear it and put everything on the tray. She then marched through the French door that Tito George kept open. Tito George gently squeezed Lena's shoulder and smiled. Then he turned to his wife.

"We're looking at some videos of Lea. Lena might want to see how her sister spent her time here."

"That's a great idea!" Tita Martha commented.

Tito George nodded and then held out a hand. Tita Marth took it and together they went back inside the house. Before Tita George closed the French door, he cast a glance at the mango tree.

"Looks like the fireflies are having a party," he said.