Chapter 28: Being with Family

The laughter grew louder the moment that Lena entered the house. Then she heard barking.

Juju?

Moments later a white ball of fluff bounded up to her and nearly knocked her over.

"Juju!" she shrieked as the excited canine covered her with wet kisses. She had no choice but to sit on the floor and gladly receive the happiest greetings only a dog could give.

"You have officially adopted him, right?" Bianca asked demandingly. She sat beside Lena to rub Juju's exposed belly

"No take backs," stated Tito George, his usually calm voice had a hint of eagerness. "It's been years since we had a pet."

"True," Ate Anna agreed.

"I will," Lena replied. "Nico had wanted to adopt him."

Bianca nodded her head.

"Ms. Reyes called earlier," she said, "and reminded us that Desi will be delivering the rest of Juju's stuff tomorrow."

"There's more? Angelique said that?" Kuya Brian asked, remembering the big box of toys and treats that came with Juju when Desi, a volunteer at the animal shelter, had dropped off the puppy.

"Ooh! Angelique! You're on first-name basis," teased Lena.

Laughter broke out as Kuya Brian's face turned different shades of red. Just then Tita Martha yelped.

"What's wrong, Tita?" Kuya Brian asked as he glared at his cousins, amidst Juju's demands for pets.

"The barbecue!" Ate Anna and Bianca cried out.

Kuya Brian immediately stood up and followed Tito George who had already made a dash for the patio. Lena, Ate Anna, and Bianca stood up and followed the others. They had to be careful not to trip over Juju, who was taking an immense delight at weaving through their legs.

Fortunately, the barbecue was rescued in time. The skewered cubes of pork were mouthwateringly tender. And it wasn't only Juju who was salivating. But they had to wait for the veggie kebabs before they could commence the feast. Tito George was quite serious about his barbecue.

Lena and Tita Martha went inside the house and brought out a trolley from the kitchen. On it were large bottles of soda, an ice bucket, and several glasses. Ate Anna and Bianca also went inside and came back out with a large mat and some pillows. They unrolled the mat under the mango tree. Juju, who had been digging around the courtyard after getting impatient from all the waiting, marched toward the mat and proceeded to sploot. But he quickly sat up and wagged his bushy tail the moment he heard the familiar sound of a bag of treats being opened. His tail wagged even more when Lena approached.

Soon the table was set, and everybody gathered around the patio table. For Juju, Lena had prepared bits of pork barbecue sans sauce.

As soon as they were seated, they raised their glasses and clinked them together for a quick toast. Then the wolfing down began. Juju also dug into his food bowl. Stories and jokes were exchanged. Laughter—and barking—filled the courtyard.

Fascinated by the fireflies circling the mango tree, Juju marched over to the mat and gazed at the soft lights. Everyone on the table chuckled as Juju yawned a very big yawn. Lena excused herself to tend to the sleepy fur baby. She sat on one of the pillows. Juju readily curled in her lap. Lena's eyes wandered to the fireflies, the miniature houses, and the roots, trunk, branches, and leaves of the old mango tree.

Then she hummed her favorite lullaby as Juju closed his eyes.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

butterflies play hide-and-seek.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

Playful sunlight takes a peek.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

fireflies gather to dance.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

Gentle moonlight starts to prance.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

we dream of worlds we can't see.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

We wake from our reverie.

Under the shade of an old mango tree . . .