Chapter 23: Dining Out

"Wow!" Lena exclaimed excitedly as Kuya Brian parked in front of the restaurant Manggalore. "It looks like a genuine wood-and-stone house—except for those glass doors." She nodded toward the entrance and then turned her head to the left. "Is that a mango orchard?"

Kuya Brian nodded.

"Let's go, go, go!" Bianca roared from the backseat.

Lena, Ate Anna, Bianca, and Kuya Brian got out of the car and made a beeline to the arched entrance. Someone from inside opened the double doors. As the four entered, the receptionist approached them and escorted them to a reserved table. She then handed them tablets. It didn't take long before Lena and her cousins decided on what to order. The staff at Manggalore's original restaurant had practically memorized their favorites.

As they waited for their food, Lena decided to do some exploring. Near the entrance was a wall filled with photographs. Lena took her time looking at them, walking slowly until she reached a huge frame. It was a group photo of the entire staff with the restaurant's previous owner. Lena blinked several times when she saw the man's face. She suddenly felt a heaviness in her chest. She quickly checked the bottom of the picture for a caption. It said, "Manggalore and More, Bangui Branch, Nicolas Paolo Tolentino, owner and executive chef."

Lena sucked in her breath. Just then she realized that someone had been standing beside her. It was an old man.

"Did you know him?" he asked. His eyes behind the thick-rimmed glasses were squinting at the center of the photograph.

"Who?"

"Nico," the old man replied. "It was unfortunate that he passed away so young." He sighed and shook his head, and then walked on.

Lena stared at the face of the late owner of the restaurant. She didn't realize that she had been standing and staring for a long time until Ate Anna approached her and told her that the food was ready and that they had been waiting for her.

It was usually a noisy affair when the cousins would eat out together. But that afternoon they ate in silence. Ate Anna, Bianca, and Kuya Brian would exchange looks and sneak a peek at Lena, who was too distracted to be even aware that her cousins were casting her worried glances.

When they were done with the main courses, a couple of servers came and cleared a table. Then the new executive chef approached their table carrying the restaurant's signature mango cheesecake. Another couple of servers accompanied him with plates, forks, teacups, and a fresh pot of lemon tea.

As the cake was being set down at the center of the table, Lena, again, felt a heaviness in her chest. The chef muttered something while looking heavenward and then sliced the cake. He gave Lena the first piece. His eyes looked sad although he was smiling. The rest also received generous slices before the chef excused himself.

Once again, the four ate in silence. The dessert was beyond reproach but nobody felt like having a conversation, even if it was just about the dessert.

They were also silent on the way home.

When the car pulled into the driveway, Lena quickly thanked her cousins and told them that she had a great time, and then got out of the car and quietly went inside the house. Her cousins just looked at each other and sighed.

Lena directly headed toward the back of the house. Tita Martha was about to call her from the dining table when Ate Anna walked in and held up her hands to signal her mother to stop. Tita Martha mouthed why. Bianca then walked in and mouthed Nico. Tita Martha mouthed oh and nodded and then resumed setting the table. Kuya Brian followed shortly and set a big box of macarons on the kitchen island. And while Tito George was busy with the cooking, Ate Anna and Bianca occupied themselves with preparing some fruit slices.

They were of the same mind to leave Lena alone for now. Losing two people had already severely devastated her. Finding out that she had lost another one . . . Tita Martha had her phone on the table. Lena's psychiatrist was on her speed dial.