Chapter 7: Taking the Tunnel

The old lady led her out of the office and into one of the glass elevators. She pushed the B1 button. When they reached the first-level basement, they got off the elevator.

What she saw when she stepped out was something curious and wondrous. B1 wasn't an ordinary underground parking space at all. It was, in fact, an underground garden. Light from the above-ground windows cast a beautiful glow on the colorful flower beds and the fresh green grass. There was quite a variety of bushes and shrubs. Scattered here and there were comfortable park benches. Dainty fairy lights hung from many branches. The lights looked like fireflies. From a distance she could hear water gurgling.

Lena walked a bit further. Soon there was a wide stone path in front of her. She followed it with her gaze and saw that the path led to a metal rail similar to that of the balcony on the upper floors of the town hall. The rail seemed to be surrounding part of the trunk of the mango tree.

Lena wondered if the roots of the tree were in the lowest basement. Earlier, she saw on the elevator panel that there were two more basement levels below. Just as Lena turned to ask about it, the old lady had already started walking to the other side of the elevator. Lena followed her and noticed that the old lady was still clutching the same folders she had with her previously. She noticed too that the elevator opened on both sides.

"I wanted you to see the garden first," the old lady said as if she had read Lena's mind.

And before Lena could tell her what she thought of the garden, the old lady directed her attention to the tunnel that connected the town hall to the grand hotel. The wide tunnel didn't make her feel claustrophobic at all. Simple rustic glass-and-metal lamps hung from the ceiling and gave ample lighting.

"Let's go, dear," the old lady broke through her musings.

Lena nodded but then paused.

"What is it, dear?"

"I'm sorry but I haven't even asked your name," Lena answered with a hint of embarrassment.

"You can call me Mrs. Amparo," the old lady replied.

Lena followed Mrs. Amparo's leisurely stroll. She noticed pretty wooden planters lining the cool-grey brick walls of the tunnel.

After only a few steps, Lena heard a song. It was faint at first but became louder and louder as they neared the midsection of the tunnel. It sounded French and it sounded familiar.

Non, rien de rien . . . Non, je ne regrette rien . . .

The song came from a food stall that served breads and pastries, as well as coffee, milk, and tea. In front of the stall were three round wrought iron wood-top bistro tables with matching chairs that had thick turquoise cushions. On the tables were small vases of pink, purple, and white carnations.

Opposite was a stall that sold flowers, old books, greeting cards, and trinkets. There were also tables and chairs in front of it.

"A baby shower?" Mrs. Amparo asked the owner.

The bespectacled and aproned owner nodded and smiled. Mrs. Amparo smiled back and then turned to Lena.

"Would you like to have a taste of the macarons?" she asked.

"Can I have them to go?"

"Of course, dear."

While Lena waited for her big box of macarons, Mrs. Amparo went to the flower stall and bought a bouquet of chrysanthemums. When they were both done, they continued walking through the tunnel.

The tunnel led to a big double-sided glass elevator flanked by wooden stairs. And behind was also a garden. When they boarded the elevator, Lena peeked at the garden through the opposite doors.

This garden seemed smaller but it was still impressive. However, there was no large hole bounded by a metal railing encircling a tree trunk nor any large tree for that matter. Instead, at the center was a stone slab with an engraving of a fully grown mango tree, similar to the one at the front of the hotel, only much, much smaller. The name of the town was also engraved beneath the tree. And surrounding the bottom of the slab was a collection of greeting cards. Lena fished her phone from her pocket and created a reminder to come back to the tunnel and visit the site.

When Lena and Mrs. Amparo reached the first floor, the doors opened to a beautiful rustic lobby. She could see the road and the back of the town hall through the glass walls. Mrs. Amparo led Lena to the back of the elevator, where an expansive courtyard garden made Lena gasp in awe. A flagstone path ran through the entire length of the lush yet spacious courtyard. Some plants were familiar, some were not—but all were beautiful. She looked up. The sky was clear but it wasn't unbearably bright. In fact, the weather felt cool and breezy. Perfect for flying kites.

Lena brought her gaze back forward. Mrs. Amparo was whispering something to an iridescent tailed butterfly hovering above a calamansi shrub. Then she looked at Lena.

"Shall we?" she asked, extending her hand to indicate the stone path.

Lena nodded and walked to Mrs. Amparo's side. Together they headed toward the end of the stone path and eventually arrived in front of the Office for Fosters.