Chapter 14: Hearing a Familiar Lullaby

Lena heard humming. It was a lullaby. A lullaby that someone used to sing to her when she was still a child. No, when she and her elder sister were still children, during naptime at their grandmother's big house in the province.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

butterflies play hide-and-seek.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

Playful sunlight takes a peek.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

fireflies gather to dance.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

Gentle moonlight starts to prance.

Under the shade of an old mango tree,

we dream of worlds we can't see.

When the wind blows, branches shake and leaves fall.

We wake from our reverie.

Lena opened her eyes. She was in her bed. The curtains were drawn, and the lights were on dim. She turned her head to look at the clock on the wall. It was four in the afternoon.

She got up and went to the bathroom. She still felt sleepy, so she took a quick shower. As she was about to leave the room, she suddenly felt chilly and went back in to change into warmer clothes.

As she descended the stairs, she heard voices. Many voices. And when she reached the bottom step, the voices stopped. When she turned toward the living area, Mrs. Amparo was there. She was the only one there.

Mrs. Amparo stood up from the sofa and held out her hand.

"Come and sit down, dear," she said.

Lena sat on the sofa. Mrs. Amparo handed her a cup of tea.

"It's chamomile, my dear. It will help you relax."

Lena welcomed the tea. She took her time sipping the calming drink. She indeed needed to be calm.

Mrs. Amparo went back to her spot on the sofa. She took the cup from Lena and placed it back on the coffee table. Then she took Lena's hands in hers and looked straight into her eyes.

"Ask what you must, dear," she gently coaxed Lena.

Tears started streaming down Lena's cheeks. She took a deep breath. And another one.

"Please tell me . . . What is this place?"

Mrs. Amparo looked at her with concern and wistfulness. Her tight smile made Lena tear up again.

"Under the shade of an old mango tree," Mrs. Amparo whispered so quietly that Lena did not hear.

"What is this place?" Lena asked again. "Why is Ate Lea familiar? Why are so many people here familiar? Why are so many things here familiar? Why are you familiar?"

Mrs. Amparo squeezed Lena's hands.

"Why are we familiar, Lena?"

Lena shook her head continuously. She couldn't stop her tears anymore. Mrs. Amparo squeezed her hands once again. Then she pulled a white embroidered handkerchief from a pocket on her dress. She dabbed Lena's wet face with it. Lena saw the monogram on one corner of the delicate cloth.

"Lena, my dear," Mrs. Amparo said as she gave Lena the handkerchief, "make the most of your time with your sister. She came all the way here for you. It's not easy for a woman already on her eighth month to go traveling, you know."

She then hugged Lena and alternately rubbed and tapped her back soothingly. Lena sniffed and wiped her nose with the handkerchief.

"I missed you, Lola."