Chapter 8: Visiting the Office for Fosters and Meeting Lea

The glass-paneled double doors of the big office slowly opened. Out came the same butler—well, gentleman. He took a few steps to the right and extended an arm toward the open door.

"Thank you, George," Mrs. Amparo said to him with a slight nod. She then walked inside.

Lena followed closely behind but not without first casting a curious glance at George, who was dusting off his pristine coat.

Once they were inside, Lena was greeted by pastels, neutrals, soft things, dainty things, and old things. Even though oversized, the light-pink tufted sofa didn't overwhelm the receiving area. The periwinkle floral armchairs were tufted as well. The antique coffee table and side tables had graceful carvings along the edge and on the legs. The ceramic-based table lamps had an eggshell-colored shade. There were pretty little white pots of succulents beside the lamps.

The wide-plank oak flooring had beautiful grains. The walls were soft beige. Gauzy light-blue curtains covered large floor-length windows. The whitewashed ceiling was wide-planked too. And from them hung copper-and-glass pendant lights with intricate wire work.

"Would you like some coffee or tea, dear?" asked Mrs. Amparo as she sat in one of the arm chairs.

"Uh . . . coffee, please," Lena replied.

"No sugar, no cream, right?"

"Uh . . . yes, please."

Mrs. Amparo indicated the sofa. Lena sat and put the box of macarons on the coffee table. As she was opening the box, a middle-aged woman came in from what Lena guessed was the office's pantry. The woman was wearing a khaki-colored apron with a light orange-yellow line-art logo that looked like a pregnant woman sitting under the shade of a tree, her hands cradling her round belly. It also looked like the tree's branches were hugging her. Beneath the image was the name of the town.

The woman carried a tray, which she set on the coffee table beside the macarons. There were two dainty floral-printed cups of coffee on floral-printed saucers. The light-yellow napkins were plain except for the logo on one of their corners, like the one on the woman's apron.

"Thank you, Martha," Mrs. Amparo told the woman.

The woman smiled at her and Lena before leaving just as quietly as when she came. Then Mrs. Amparo took a cup and with deliberate slowness inhaled the aroma of her freshly brewed coffee. Lena took hers and sniffed the coffee briefly before blowing and then venturing a sip.

Aah! That hit the spot, she thought.

"May I?" Mrs. Amparo asked Lena as her fingers hovered above the macarons.

Lena nodded enthusiastically, also eager to taste the pastel-colored confections.

Mrs. Amparo picked the vanilla bean flavored one, while Lena reached for the mango. After they took a bite, both made an mmm sound and then sighed with delight. When they finished their first macarons, they took another sip of their coffee. Then Mrs. Amparo cleared her throat and spoke.

"So, Lena, how may I help you?"

Lena set down her cup and dabbed her mouth with a napkin.

"May I know more about the Foster Family Program? My friends Anna and Bianca both have foster sisters. They told me that all the fosters here are pregnant women abandoned by their families." She paused for a moment, trying to decide what to say. "Uh . . . I would like to help."

Mrs. Amparo clapped her hands happily.

"Oh, thank you for your interest, dear," she said. "We happen to have a new arrival. She's eight months pregnant."