Chapter 16: Marveling at a Giant Dollhouse

"You've got to be joking!" Lena screamed.

Lena and her sister had been picked up by George and driven to an expansive area beyond the already expansive gardens of the hotel.

"You've got to be joking!" Lena said, screaming again. "And they did this in one—one!"—Lena held out her index finger emphatically—"one week!"

Then she was quiet. She turned sharply toward her sister, who seemed lost in delight at the magnificent spectacle before her. Her eyes were sparkling and a wide smile was pasted on her face.

"Ate!" Lena called her sister, who was only an arm length away. But her sister was totally captivated by what she was looking at.

Who wouldn't be, she thought.

"Ate!" This time she shouted.

As if waking up from a trance, Lena's sister blinked slowly many times before slowly turning her face toward Lena.

"What?" Lena's sister asked, feigning annoyance.

"Was this"—Lena stretched out her arms forward—"already here before?"

"Of course not!" someone replied from behind. "That's just ridiculous!"

Lena and her sister turned around.

"Lola!" they screamed as they hugged their grandmother tightly.

"I can't breathe, my darlings," she informed them.

Lena and her sister untangled their arms and then planted butterfly kisses on their grandmother's wrinkly forehead. When they were done, they all held hands and looked at the magnificent three-story dollhouse.

In the first story, in the middle, was a grand marble staircase with intricately designed black metal railings. In front of it was a small fountain with a statue of a ballerina at the center. To the left of the staircase were two rooms separated by a full bathroom. The first room was the music room. The second room was the dance room. To the right of the staircase were also two rooms—a photography room and then a painting room. There was also a bathroom between them.

About halfway the height of the tall first floor, the staircase diverged as it continued to the second floor, revealing (surprise, surprise) a glass elevator. The left flight of stairs led to the living room, which featured three generous seating areas and a marble fireplace. Then there was a spacious full bathroom. Next to this was a home theater.

The right flight of stairs led to the dining room, which had a large rectangular hardwood table that could easily accommodate twelve people. Then there was another full bathroom. And next to this was a spacious kitchen with immaculately white quartz countertops and an eye-catching geometric copper backsplash.

In the third story were four bedrooms, two on either side of the staircase and each with an en suite bathroom. In front of the staircase was a common area that featured a large plush rug and a variety of textured pillows and cushions.

Then there was the rooftop. Lena could see a pergola that stretched from one end of the house to the other. Colorful ornamental vines and fairy lights wove in between the thick hardwood beams. Lush green vines also adorned the tall black metal railings. Lena craned her neck to see more.

"We can actually go up there, you know," her sister told her.

"Yes," their grandmother said. "They must have already finished the preparations."

Lena nodded excitedly. And as she stepped into the lobby, she saw how remarkably detailed the carvings on the fountains were. There were butterflies and flowers, and the ballerina statue looked so realistic.

Compulsively she started singing.

"I'm a Barbie g—"

"It's not pink," her sister cut in.

"Sorry," she apologized half-heartedly. "I couldn't resist."

Lena, her sister, and their grandmother boarded the glass elevator. As Lena pressed the button for the rooftop, she tapped her sister's shoulder.

"You've always loved glass elevators," she told her sister. "Does this also go sideways and any ways?" she added mischievously.

"Har-har," her sister replied.

"Why not?" their grandmother asked innocently.

"I was just joking, Lola," Lena teased.

Lena's grandmother nodded.

"I know. I'm just saying it's possible," she revealed with a soft chuckle.

Before Lena could request for a demonstration, the elevator had reached the rooftop. And as she stepped out onto the beautifully patterned ceramic floor tiles, the glorious sight of the colorful sunset nearly took her breath away.