Chapter 25: Missing Family

Lena was slumped in the chair, her eyes closed, when she heard footsteps again. It was the housekeeper, and she was carrying a tray. The housekeeper set the tray on an empty space on the table. There was a deep plate of rice, a bowl of steaming sinigang na baboy, a glass of mango juice, a bottle of water, a spoon and a fork, and some napkins.

"You must be hungry."

Lena thanked her and proceeded to collect the notes and put them in her bag. Then she pulled the tray closer to her and without much ado, dumped some vegetables and pork over the rice and poured nearly half of the broth—and wolfed down as much as she could. She hadn't realized how famished she was.

"Slow down, dear. Remember to chew," the housekeeper said as she sat opposite Lena.

Lena nodded and tried to slow down her pace. But the food was just so delicious and she was just so hungry—and so sad. In less than fifteen minutes, she finished eating and was sipping her still-cold juice contentedly, eyes closed. When she opened them, the housekeeper was gone. Lena searched for her and found her by the mango tree, watching the fireflies.

Lena walked over to her. She raised an arm and started stretching her fingers, hoping a firefly would land on them. One did and another. Then a third one. Lena looked at them and smiled wistfully.

"I hope you're all happy . . . wherever you are," she whispered. The fireflies flew off and rejoined the others.

Finally, the housekeeper spoke.

"This tree has been here for hundreds of years and has witnessed the coming and passing of generations. You and your sister have always loved this tree when you were young and spent your summers here. We would lay a blanket underneath it, and both of you would take a nap as I hummed to you our favorite lullaby."

Lena had been nodding as she recalled some of her fondest memories. Then her head snapped back up at the mention of the lullaby. She turned toward the old woman.

"We miss you too, Lena. Taking care of your pregnant sister was quite interesting, wasn't it?"

Lena nodded as tears trickled down her face.

"It . . . it was," she said, her voice shaking. "It was, Lola."

Lena's grandmother reached out and gently touched Lena's face.

"Live a happy life," she said. "That will make us happy too."