Chapter 9: Marveling at the Hotel Gardens

Lena nearly shrieked as soon as she saw the glistening bronze sculptures that marked the entrance to the hotel gardens. The imposing sculptures, roughly five meters tall, were of mango trees whose branches reached out to each other, forming a high loosely woven arch.

From the entrance she could see the wide sand-colored flagstone path continuing for what seemed to be a kilometer before forming a circular walkway around another magnificent bronze sculpture. The enormous slab, which was about seven meters high and three meters across, featured a big circle of people encompassing a smaller group of women, most of whom were obviously pregnant. Around the slab were a ring of alternating evenly spaced fountains and lights. Hedges of lavender, sweet box, gardenia, and hydrangea formed a colorful fence.

Lena realized that the path between the gardens and the hotel was only one of the many paths that radiated from the walkway around the central slab sculpture. In between the paths were flower gardens of intricate designs, the palette of which was mainly white, pink, purple, and blue. Some gardens had a water feature, either a calm reflecting pool, a lively fountain, or a trickling waterfall. Others surrounded smaller marble or bronze sculptures, often of pet animals and insects, such as puppies and butterflies.

Lena grinned widely and clapped with great enthusiasm. She even felt like jumping. Lea smiled at Lena's open delight.

"This . . . is . . ." Lena started to say when she turned to face Lea. "This is so cool!"

Lea laughed.

"We can stay here for a while, if you like," she suggested.

Lena was tempted but she really wanted to see Lea's room. Besides, an afternoon wouldn't probably be enough to explore the expansive area, especially when she saw on a map near the entrance that the gardens also had groves, fishing ponds, hedge mazes, and even cafés.

So the two turned back and retraced their steps to the hotel. When they reached the elevator, they went straight to the fourth floor. As they walked down the spacious hall, they would sometimes meet a pregnant woman with her foster sibling or parent.

Lea's room was the fourth one on the left. It had an ornately carved arch-topped wooden door just like the other rooms. As Lea opened the door, a sensor light turned on. Lena followed Lea to the entryway, where they both switched their shoes with slippers while sitting on a cushioned bench. They hung their bags from the abstract butterfly-shaped hooks on the wall.

Lea then led Lena to the living-and-dining area and asked her to wait for her as she went to get some snacks. Lena looked around as Lea strode into the kitchen.

Lena noted the neutral palette of the room. It was very calm and relaxing. The curvy furniture pieces were simple, modern, and minimal. Black-and-white photos of famous structures adorned the limestone-washed walls. At the center of the coffee table were fresh white and lavender chrysanthemums in clear crystal vases. There were potted fig trees in some corners. The big arched windows were covered with off-white linen curtains. Cylindrical brass pendant lights hung from the white ceiling.

Lea returned with two big slices of mango cheesecake. She set the plates gently on the round white dining table and asked Lena to get cups and saucers from the nearby sideboard. She then went back to the kitchen and came out with a pot of lemon and honey tea and a trivet. After placing the trivet on the table beside the cups and saucers, she carefully set down the pot.

Lea and Lena sat. They ate quietly, savoring the scrumptious pastry and the soothing tea. Neither dared to intrude in the other's blissful world.

After some time—when they were both nearly finished with their cake and tea, Lena ventured a question.

"Do you like it here?"

"Very much," Lea almost instantly replied. "And I like it even more now that I have a sister!" She clapped and smiled so gleefully at Lena. Then she turned serious. "I hope you haven't changed your mind."

"Of course not," Lena assured her. "I'm actually excited. Anna and Bianca had been constantly regaling me with their adventures, as well as misadventures, with Cathy and Maya."

Lea laughed.

"Oh, yeah," she agreed. "They make it really sound . . . interesting."

After their last bites and sips, Lea showed Lena her bedroom.

Lena found the room very cozy and calming, just like the living-dining room. It was also very simple. From the furniture to the fixtures, the design was straightforward. And it was very neat. Even the books on the shelf were wrapped in white, and the dark grey titles on the spines had the same font. The only pops of color came from the turquoise pillows on the beige-and-white bed. There were also little ceramic pots of succulents on the wide window ledge.

"You're quite organized," Lena commented.

"Well, pregnancy can be such a rollercoaster. Being organized helps me keep my sanity," Lea explained.

"Why don't you live with me?" Lena suddenly blurted out. Even she herself was surprised.

Lea was quiet and obviously felt awkward.

"Oh, come on!" Lena decided to just go ahead with it. After all, it would only be for a month. "By tomorrow afternoon, we'll be sisters! It will be more convenient to live together since I am supposed to be helping take care of you—and the baby. Besides, my house has extra rooms. You can use the one downstairs. It has its own bathroom and a walk-in closet. And there's a fully furnished craft room, which, frankly, I don't know how to use. I stink at crafts. And I am a graphic designer, mind you."

Lea laughed.

"I gladly accept the offer." She held out her hand and Lena happily shook it.

Suddenly, she touched her round belly.

"What's wrong?" Lena asked with worry.

"The baby kicked—really hard," Ate Lea explained. "Do you wanna feel it?"

Lea took Lena's right hand and placed it on top of her belly. Lena gasped as she felt something undulating. Then she giggled.

"Are you sure it's a human in there?" Lena asked with curiosity.

Outside the hotel, the sky was starting to darken. Stars began to appear one by one, like the fireflies twinkling among the trees and bushes in the gardens.