Prologue

****

****

Rick and Michonne sat together by the small fire they made while Carl was asleep in the broken up car after they shared a small rabbit between them.

Sighing, Rick told Michonne how lately, all they've been talking about was food. They were hoping it would end soon after they made it to Terminus. Michonne wondered out loud if it was a legit place and Rick only told her it had to be, because he believed that Natalia was there. She must've saw the signs, Rick told Michonne. But the two cut their conversation short when they were startled by branches being snapped behind them. Rick immediately stood up and looked around but there was no one. When it felt secure again, he sat down and continued his conversation with Michonne.

"Oh, dearie me." Rick immediately tensed as the barrel of the gun was shoved in his temple, catching him off guard.

"You screwed up, asshole." Michonne's sword was kicked over as a gun was pointed at her now, too.

"You hear me? You screwed up!"

More of Joe's men appeared out of the dark and surrounded Rick and Michonne.

"Today is a day of reckoning, sir! Restitution. A balancing of the whole damn universe."

One of the men grinned devilishly at Carl and placed his hands and knife on the car's window— Carl jolted awake and let in a sharp exhale from shock.

"Shit, and I was thinking of turning in for the night on New Year's Eve." Joe laughed. "Now who's gonna count down the ball dropper with me, huh? Ten Mississippi. Nine Mississippi. Eight Mississippi—"

"Joe!" Daryl had came out of the dark and at the sight of him, Michonne's eyes went wide while Rick mouth's gaped in surprise. Daryl wasn't expecting to see either of them.

"Hold up." Daryl said softly, his eyes never drifting from Rick's.

"You're stopping me in eight, Daryl."

Daryl inched closer and closer towards Rick and Michonne. "Just hold up."

"This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about." One of the men spoke.

"The thing about nowadays is we got nothing but time. Say your piece, Daryl." Joe said from behind Rick, his gun still shoved in his temple.

"These people, you're gonna let them go. These are good people." Daryl said to Joe who still had a smirk on his face.

"Now, I think Lou would disagree with you on that. I'll, of course, have to speak for him and all 'cause your friend here strangled him in a bathroom."

"You want blood, I get it." Daryl dropped his crossbow and pointed at himself. "Take it from me, man. C'mon."