Chapter Nine

****

****

Daryl couldn't sleep that night— even though his body ached and his eyes burnt from lack of sleep, he couldn't allow himself to sleep. There was something around them that was watching them, and Daryl knew his feeling was true because of what he heard with Carol at night.

"Hershel..." Natalia mumbled lowly several times, catching Daryl's attention.

"They won't stop." Daryl's brows tightened as he tried to listen to Natalia's soft murmurs.

Before Daryl could hear the rest, Tyreese stirred awake by Natalia's little cries that his ears learned to pick up on while they were together.

"She's been having these nightmares." Daryl's head turned to Tyreese who was on the other side of him. "Ever since Carol and I found her."

While Daryl intently listened to Tyreese's whispers, Carl had woken up and was listening in too.

"I don't know why...but every time she has a nightmare, it's like something wakes me up to stop it." Ever since Tyreese and Carol were taking care of Natalia, Tyreese would always find himself waking up just as Natalia was spiraling deep into her nightmare. All the same, Tyreese was always there by her side.

Tyreese continued to speak softly as to not disturb the rest who were asleep.

"Before waking her up, I'd try and pick up what she was saying, I thought if I knew what she was so afraid of, I could help stop it."

"Didn't seem like anything changed." Daryl's arm was still around Natalia's waist protectively.

"I never really understood what it was about...but she always called Hershel for help." Tyreese turned to face Daryl and continued. "She wanted to run from dark shadows that follow her everywhere."

Daryl's brow dropped low in confusion as his gaze turned to Natalia— Tyreese noticed Natalia's forehead coated in a layer of her sweat just as she began to grind her teeth.

"You should wake her up now." Tyreese said to Daryl. "If you don't, she's going to wake everyone else up."

Daryl listened to Tyreese and firmly shook the woman several times before her eyes flew open frantically, her hand gripping onto his vest.

For a split second, Natalia expected to see Tyreese waking her up but it was Daryl— she immediately laid back down beside him, cupping his cheek with her hand. Even though she appreciated Tyreese for taking care of her, she was more than happy to wake up and see Daryl beside her.